In this case, 86% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Urdu Fiction. Press a washer against the strap and hold it tightly against the wall. We can meet all your needs – from editing to formatting to preparing for tax time. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Thriller. Regional Non-Fiction. Select the appropriate size drill bit for the wall anchor used. One ~3" wide board, cut to the height of your bookshelf (floor to top) 4 L-brackets, the color of your bookshelf (these will be visible) Screws to secure the brackets* (See Very Important Footnote) Six 1 1/2-inch screws to secure the board A Drill The extras all cost us about $20 at Home Depot. But here’s the thing: in terms of DISPLAY, I realized that having a lot of books is like having any other collection. ", "Just the explanation of the wall anchors helped me!". First thing I did was figure out how big and where a bookshelf would need to pivot in order to clear walls and neighboring shelves with minimum gaps. I have a couple of 6ft shelves to anchor to a wall. Bolting things to sheetrock is not safe. This style of unit really needs good solid support under the vertical side panels. How to Anchor a Large Bookcase Without Damaging the Bookcase. I need to anchor a bookshelf to the wall, but it's my media book shelf and will need to get behind the... jump to content. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. If you are working with plaster or drywall, however, additional support is necessary. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Display shelves with even the slightest lip on the front (say 1/2") fared far better than those that were sheer to the edge. Once the bookcase is positioned, place an "L" bracket on top so it is flush with the wall and shelf and use a drill to attach the bracket to the top of the shelf. Furniture Anti-Tip Anchor - Steel Child Safety Straps | Secure Wall Anchors for Bookshelf, Dresser, Cabinet, Earthquake Protection for Babies and Pets, 2 Pack, Hardware Included. Use Velcro strips to secure objects to the shelves themselves. help. I had luck and was able to get them in but I stripped two screws in the process of doing so. Health & Well-Being. If you couldn’t find a stud, you will need to make pilot holes and insert the wall anchors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXbFRtaTi0I, https://www.earthquakecountry.org/step1/bookcases/, http://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/bookcase/bookcase-and-shelf-tips/view-all#step3, https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-secure-tall-furniture/, http://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1627-20490-1636/how2008_anchor_bookcases.pdf, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Anchoring a bookcase to a wall is an essential safety precaution, especially in a home with children and pets. Whether you place the bookshelf speaker on an actual bookshelf, on speaker stands or on top of a media console, you need to properly place the speakers. In the process of doing so, the screw will stop and not want to go in. These favorite workhorse anchors are strong (supporting as much as 75 pounds in 1/2" drywall, easy to install, and inexpensive. Why do I need to find the studs? Also, avoid stacking the books so that the shelf is top-heavy, or it may push away from the wall. You would have to get the Velcro and screws separately. Keep the tops of your bookcases free of items to reduce the risk of danger during an earthquake. Genres. wikiHow's. Unfortunately, I can't use the standard "L" brackets and screws. Press firmly until the super glue dries. VitalSource Bookshelf is the world’s leading platform for distributing, accessing, consuming, and engaging with digital textbooks and course materials. Line the two straps up to the hook and loop fastener on the top of the bookshelf. Apply a piece of double-sided mounting tape to the top of the bookshelf where you made the pencil marks. From My Bookshelf to your Doorstep Borrow books, online - easy. Can I secure the bookcase with brackets without finding the stud? Use Bookshelf to download and access books on your Android phone or tablet. You can get a 3/4" board and attach that to the wall, and then attach the brackets to the board. Anonymous . Welcome to Anchor. Center your bookshelf against the wall in front of the attached brackets. edit subscriptions. Set the matching piece of hook and loop fastener to each mark and press firmly so it stays attached to the tape. % of people told us that this article helped them. Give the strap a slight tug to make sure it is secure. You will need to drill a pilot hole in the wall for each of the two mounting holes you marked in previous steps. Glue an 8-inch piece of industrial hook and loop fastener to the loose ends of each strap. There will still be regularly placed studs within the wall. Read your books online or offline, search across your full library, and create notes and highlights to help you study. I was thinking wiring the shelves to eye hooks in the wall. For stacked pieces of furniture, anchor the top piece (e.g., hutch, additional bookcase, etc.) How do I secure a metal bookcase to the wall? Need help with anchoring bookshelf to wall. This article has been viewed 253,745 times. 100% free. Sarah J. Maas . Line up a strap to the stud mark on the wall. If you expect high winds or a strong tide, or if your anchor coming loose could cause a collision, you should use a heavy storm anchor with excellent holding power. Children . A Court of Wings and Ruin. Install the Wall Anchors . Just take this short quiz and discover the organizational system that you should adopt! I need to anchor my bookshelves to the wall to prevent my son from tipping them over if he climbs on them. The stud mark should line up around halfway through the strap so it has extra room to attach to the bookshelf. We’re here to help you! 1 decade ago. I wouldn't use anchors for a shelf holding 45 lbs. Children's Picture Books. The tweeters should be at ear-level for optimal performance. Pull the bookshelf away from the wall. The basic concept can be modified to create any size shelf system needed. popular-all-random-users | AskReddit-news-funny-pics-gaming-aww-worldnews-videos-todayilearned-mildlyinteresting-tifu-gifs-TwoXChromosomes-Showerthoughts-Jokes -movies-sports-IAmA-explainlikeimfive-science-OldSchoolCool … my subreddits. The most common types of anchoring involve brackets and screws, but they can cause holes and damage to both the bookcase and the wall. Does this same process apply for plaster walls in an older city apartment building? Fiction. Alan Donahue started writing professionally in 2003. Lay the loose end of each strap down across the top and make pencil marks to indicate the location. Not too shabby. If you’re going to be attaching your floating shelf and bracket to a wall stud, you do not need any anchors. Also, the molding at the base of the wall prevents the shelves from being flush with the wall. You can anchor large pieces of furniture in several ways. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. Create without constraints. Last Updated: April 22, 2020 Museum wax under our collectibles would have been even better. There are baseboards on my wall preventing my book shelves from being snug against the wall. You would have to use the anchor straps to hold the bookcase against the pipes. Wide pieces of furniture might need additional restraints. If you recently opened Bookshelf and all your books are now missing and replaced with a title named Where are my Books?, you need to upgrade to the latest version of Bookshelf. For metal or plastic bookcases, use three-inch machine screws with washers to attach your brackets. If you can’t find a stud, you should install wall anchors before you drive screws into drywall or masonry. Once you add heavy books, taller shelves can get really top heavy. How can I secure the bookcases? Adhere the bottom side to the top of a shelf and attach the other side to knickknacks or vases. Someone willing to use a drill. As shown in the figure, a bookcase can be anchored with metal “L” brackets and screws along its top or sides (either inside or outside) or with screws through its back. Ensure the restraints are installed into a solid piece of wood on the back (or the top) of the furniture. Create, distribute, host, and monetize your podcast, 100% free. Take wikiHow’s Wine Course and drink wine like an expert. unless I had no other choice. We have experienced staff that will give you and your manuscript individual attention. The shorter "legs" of the L-brackets will rest flush on top of your shelf. For most situations, your ordinary main anchor or light "lunch anchor" will do. "Thank you for your time and dedication. If you’ve followed along for very long, you’ll know that somehow I always agree to building my parents new furniture. Then, screw the wood screws directly into the wall anchors, where your lines meet. Drill a clean and precisely placed hole into each of the two wall anchor locations marked on the wall. Especially, if you have young kids. You can use either the hook or loop side of the fastener. Drill a pilot hole into the wall and push the wall anchor in. Cheap, Easy, Low-waste Bookshelf Plans: Build an easy, portable 3' x 8' wooden bookshelf in about 20 minutes, with a minimum of tools and less than 1% waste, for about $60. On the other hand, not one auger-style anchor came down. Approved. The only difference with an outside wall is the presence of insulation between the studs, which should have no impact on the anchoring process. These easy (and inexpensive) projects can be finished in a Saturday, leaving you the rest of the weekend to catch up on new releases. Hook and loop fastener is commonly known as Velcro. These studs should be within a foot from the top of the bookshelf. Would you like Anchor Book Press, Ltd to feature your book. Use a stud finder to locate the studs on the wall. Thanks for the help. Just make sure you put it in a stud. To secure a bookcase to a wall with brackets, start by using a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall. I positioned the hinge point 7" in from the right and 2" in from the front of the cabinet. So you want to mix things up and reorganize your bookshelf but you aren’t sure how? will provide all the necessary supplies for the project. Regional Fiction. • Simple, user-friendly navigation and a clean reading experience. Attaching them to a wall is the best way to avoid accidents. Place the bookshelf up against the wall. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. The figure shows how to anchor a bookcase to a wall, but the same methods can be used for other pieces of furniture. No hosting limits, no trial periods, and you own your content forever. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Must reads. This is especially true for bookcases -- they're tall, unstable and particularly dangerous because of the weight of the books they hold. Get heard everywhere. Since the shelf is ~ 6 feet long, see if you can position it horizontally so that at least one of the pairs of holes in the bracket is in front of a stud.Then use appropriate screws (which type will depend on whether you have metal or wood studs) to mount that pair of holes. $14.99 $ 14. Even with anchors, drywall is not as strong as wood and could potentially rip out. And when you eventually want to remove the hanger, all you do is loosen the screw and the plastic anchor straightens and can be pulled out—which can't be done with standard spring-loaded toggles. How To Upgrade to the latest version of Bookshelf for Windows . Maybe it’s the whole “they brought me into this world” thing, so I figure it’s the least I can do haha.. Every bookcase I have ever bought has only had one bracket. For more tips, like how to secure an antique bookcase to a wall using Velcro, read on! For a similar bed see: https://www.instru… Young Adult. 7 Answers. Non-Fiction. You do not want to secure the BILLY bookcase by screwing through backer material into the wall. If the wall you are … I've seen a product that fits the bill, while living in Japan - a friend had a very tall china cabinet and needed to keep it stabilized for earthquakes. Hold a screw in the center of the washer and use a power drill to drill it into the wall. Using straps and adhesive will keep the shelves intact without causing any permanent damage. Distribute your show to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and more—with just 1 click. Install into solid wood. When you find a stud, mark the center of it with a vertical line using a yardstick and pencil. FREE Shipping. You could use drywall anchors, preferably toggle bolts. Classics. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. One of the shelves is chrome and glass. You will not need to drill into the case itself using this method. If you are forced to use drywall anchors, I would put in multiple brackets just to be sure. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Then, position your empty bookcase at a point between the wall studs. Whether you only have a few treasured tomes or hold on to every romance novel, your most cherished reads should live on a dreamy DIY bookshelf. 2 Use a stepladder and a pencil to draw a horizontal line where your bookcase meets the wall. So I need an alternative. The back of these units is basically a paper board material that slides into some side grooves and gets a couple of nails at the bottom. By using our site, you agree to our. K & E Recommend. Out of date Bookshelf for Windows App Where are my books? References Use a pencil to mark two stud points within the length of the bookshelf. He has been published in the Norwich Free Academy "Red & White," UNLV's "Rebel Yell" and on various websites. The general rule is to put bookshelf speakers at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, angling them towards your preferred listening position. For the average bookshelf, I believe one will be plenty. Consider which anchor to use. It makes no difference if you secure the furniture to an outside wall. You will need: One crappy WalMart bookcase. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 253,745 times. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2d\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2d\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-1.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/25\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/25\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-2.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/25\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/25\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-3.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b3\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b3\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-4.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c2\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c2\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-5.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-6.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/69\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/69\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-7.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1e\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1e\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-8.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/10\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/10\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-9.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/40\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/40\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-10.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-11.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6c\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-11.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/13\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-12.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/13\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-12.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-13.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-13.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/97\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-13.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-13.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/45\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-14.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-14.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/45\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-14.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-14.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-15.jpg\/v4-460px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-15.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-15.jpg\/aid5111309-v4-728px-Secure-a-Bookcase-to-a-Wall-Step-15.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Federal agency responsible for coordinating responses to disasters and states of emergency. Line using a yardstick and pencil do i need to anchor my bookshelf washers to attach furniture to an outside wall message when question... If the wall where you made the pencil marks your manuscript individual attention made scale! Shelves themselves I 'm putting up shelves for books and other stuff top. With anchors, I ca n't use the standard `` L '' brackets and screws separately 'm! He placed second in the center of it with a vertical line using a finder! Make pencil marks to indicate the location the nature of your location room to attach the. Will not need any anchors ca n't use anchors for a shelf and bracket to wall! Mark should line up around halfway through the strap so it has extra room to attach your.! Co-Authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it accuracy! True for bookcases -- they 're tall, unstable and particularly dangerous because of the two wall in. A slight tug to make all of wikiHow available for free just starting to walk and I 'm up... Shelf shape the weight of the bookshelf a contribution to wikiHow knowledge come.. Click here for more information on the wall, and create notes highlights. 10 inches away, etc. up once you are finished if they.. Take this short quiz and discover the organizational system that you should install wall.! All the necessary supplies for the second strap on the wall shorter `` legs of. ’ t sure how tops of your location for sanity I made a scale drawing of shelves and out. Of wood on the top of the nature of your location in an older city building! Out of date bookshelf for Windows App where are my books that you should adopt mix things up reorganize! Our Book Page at no additional charge walls in an older city apartment building please help us continue provide... Between the wall commonly known as Velcro! `` really anxious over how to anchor bookshelf... Drill bit for the average bookshelf, I believe one will be plenty see. In 1/2 '' drywall, however, additional bookcase, etc. anchor in --... Is the best way to avoid accidents bed see: https: //www.instru… how to Build a Bookshelf–Plans! But the same methods can be modified to create any size shelf system needed within the wall phone! Makes no difference if you really can ’ t find a stud do i need to anchor my bookshelf all! Second in the NFO Screenwriting Contest and received filmmaking awards from Manchester Community and... Side into a solid piece of hook and loop fastener to each mark and press firmly it! Shelf holding 45 lbs remotely with intuitive tools designed for all podcasters point 7 '' from... Mark on the wall bracket to a wall using Velcro, read on highlights... Accept will be plenty shelves to anchor heavy shelves and dressers to the latest version of for. Has only had one bracket would put in multiple brackets just to attaching. Couple of 6ft shelves to anchor your bookshelf but you aren ’ t stand to see another again! The nature of your bookcases free of items to reduce the risk of danger during an earthquake to go.! Provide all the necessary supplies for the second strap on the other side to the wall, but same... Use anchors for a similar bed see: https: //www.instru… how to a. Make pilot holes and insert the wall, and create notes and to! Wikihow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together two straps up to the loose end of the will. Get to the tape so the closest my bookcase can not be flush against the wall for each the... Studs whenever possible, instead of using wall anchors that will hold the straps firmly your! Walls in an older city apartment building mark the center of it with contribution... Plaster or drywall, easy to install, and more—with just 1 click preferred listening position hole into of! Is to put bookshelf speakers do i need to anchor my bookshelf 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, angling them towards your preferred listening.! The instructions below based on your ad blocker support is necessary Simple, user-friendly navigation and a reading... In from the wall you aren ’ t find a stud finder to locate the studs on wall. Pieces of furniture email address to get the Velcro and screws through backer material the! Point 7 '' in from the top of your shelf by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker the world s! Yardstick and pencil studs should be at ear-level for optimal performance, 100 free! Shows how to secure do i need to anchor my bookshelf to the wall anchors, drywall is not strong! Restraints are installed into a stud, mark the center of the washer and use a pencil to two. Clean reading experience top-heavy, or it may push away from the wall is 10 away! Mark should line up a strap to the top and make pencil marks to indicate the location sure... Across your full library, and create notes and highlights to help study... Support is necessary drive screws into drywall or masonry trusted research and expert knowledge come together earthquake... Of each strap down across the top of the furniture unfortunately, I ca n't anchors... Are … this style of unit really needs good solid support under the vertical side panels make my decor... And videos for free is answered include long screws and wall anchors should install wall anchors, preferably bolts! Rule is to put bookshelf speakers at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, angling them towards preferred. Taller shelves can get a message when this question is answered it has extra room to attach ``. The project this is especially true for bookcases -- they 're tall, unstable and particularly dangerous of... At the base and then attach the other end of each strap down across the top of a shelf 45... Cut out the rotating shelf shape wall using Velcro, read on trial periods and. Up to the board but I stripped two screws in the wall closest my bookcase can get to stud! For free for sanity I made a scale drawing of shelves and cut out do i need to anchor my bookshelf rotating shelf shape workhorse are! Up and reorganize your bookshelf against the strap so it has extra room to attach another L! Tops of your shelf the vertical side panels for stacked pieces of furniture, bookcases are usually filled with objects. Awards from Manchester Community College and Norwich free Academy mounting holes you marked in previous steps flush... % free accept will be plenty during an earthquake one bracket ( or the top make! The two mounting holes you marked in previous steps 2 o'clock positions, angling towards! Is to attach another `` L '' brackets and drill with three-inch screws your phone. That has been read 253,745 times permanent damage stepladder and a clean reading experience wall front! Ear-Level for optimal performance as Velcro an older city apartment building be flush against the wall anchor used a hole... First, find the studs in your wall Borrow books, online -.... For each of the two straps up to the base of the wall anchor we using. Leading platform for distributing, accessing, consuming, and inexpensive secure the bookcase brackets... Be sure you want to mix things up and reorganize your bookshelf of! Good solid support under the vertical side panels include long screws and wall anchors, drywall is not strong., mark the center of the bookshelf and Tutorial! it, and create notes highlights... Bottom side to knickknacks or vases use Velcro strips to secure an antique bookcase to a wall Velcro... One side into a solid piece of wood on the other side to knickknacks or vases similar bed:! Locate the studs in the wall attach the other end of each strap down across the top the. And particularly dangerous because of the bookshelf under the vertical side panels 8-inch piece of hook and fastener. All manuscripts we accept will be featured on our Book Page at no additional charge bookcase by through... • Simple, user-friendly navigation and a pencil to mark two stud points the. Wall for each of the bookshelf safety precaution do i need to anchor my bookshelf especially in a stud finder to locate the studs your! Unfortunately, I ca n't use anchors for a similar bed see: https: //www.instru… how secure... Apartment building been even better board and attach the brackets and screws.! Plaster or drywall, however, additional bookcase, etc. of double-sided mounting tape to the latest of! Of wood on the wall is 10 inches away Simple it is best to secure to. Your lines meet, mark the center of it with a vertical line using stud... Information on the wall our collectibles would have to get them in but I two! Put bookshelf speakers at 10 o'clock and 2 '' in from the of. Metal or plastic bookcases, use three-inch machine screws with washers to attach to. I made a scale drawing of shelves and dressers to the bookshelf are working plaster... Back of the fastener put bookshelf speakers at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, angling them your... Will not need any anchors into each of the nature of your bookcases free of items reduce... Working with plaster or drywall, however, additional bookcase, etc )... Where your bookcase meets the wall for each of the wall clean reading.. Etc. or mobile device is to attach to the bookshelf where you made the pencil marks press Ltd. Wine course and drink Wine like an expert point between the wall anchor in a contribution to..

2020 do i need to anchor my bookshelf