Hi, I am Jisha, a busy Mom & Wife, author & website developer of Kerala Recipes. I love ur fish molee recipe. It was my first dish in ma home….. thanks….. Kerala fish molly or molee is a mildly spiced fish stew recipe from Kerala. Made it and it instantly reminded me of being back in Kerala. Then, folks, this Recipe for Fish Molee (Meen Moilee) is a classic. Jisha. It is an excellent side dish for Appam, Bread or Roti. I'm Neha, Blogger & recipe expert behind WhiskAffair. Although I reason I give is TH’s vegetarianism, the actual truth is, he doesn’t care what I cook as long as he gets his vegetarian dishes. About this blog: A simple Kerala fish stew recipe I recreated at home in times of lock-down! The word molee itself literally means "stew". It is best to use Fresh Fish while making Molee. Enjoy this curry with a bowl of steamed rice or appam. share this. Fish Molee is a unique Kerala Fish Recipe which has coconut milk as the main ingredient. Place the garlic, chillies, and ginger together in a food processor and process until smooth. Take off onions and cut them. Drop in the fish pieces once the curry comes to a boil. Fish Molee -Molly is a preparation where fish is stewed in coconut milk and very low spiced flavor in masala is prepared, so that flavor of the fish dominates the taste of the curry.This fish-meen molly … I LOVE to see your creations so snap a photo and mention, Click here to leave a review and give us a five star rating ★★★★★. Fish Molee – Recipe for Kerala Style Fish Stew Yum. When the coconut milk is hot, add the lightly fried fish fillets and cook covered on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes till the gravy starts to thicken. Unlike the traditional Kerala Style Fish curries, this recipe doesn’t use Tamarind and is not spicy. The dish originates from Kerala, with a possible Portuguese influence. I tried this @ home & it tasted superbbbbbbbbbbbb. Btw in Kerala we mostly use something called ‘kokum’, not tamarind. servin dis curry wid paalappam.. yummy…. Heat 2 tbsp oil in another wok. In the remaining oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chililes and fry for a few seconds. My kids are having a blast with their cousins. Most importantly, fish is the best source of vitamin D. Hi Shan, Fish moilee or meen moilee, a mild Kerala-style fish stew recipe that’s made with lightly fried fish, coconut milk, and spices.. As you guys probably know by now, I don’t cook meat or fish in my kitchen. Easy and Spicy recipe for traditional kerala fish molly. Thanks Next add the sliced onions and saute till translucent. The perfect combination of spices and coconut milk makes it delicious. I haven’t tried Fish Molee with any other souring agent other than vinegar & tomatoes. Clean, wash and cut fish into medium sized pieces. Fish Molly recipe - Meen Molee recipe | Kerala style fish stew Hope this helps. Add onion, ginger and garlic and fry till onion turn pinkish. It is a mild stew suitable for those who like mildly spiced food. Meen molee made with coconut milk. Apply a little salt and lime juice on fish pieces and keep aside for 15 minutes. 1. A popular curry in Kerala cuisine, it is also one of the most cherished side dishes. The use of green chilies and black pepper keeps the heat … You can use Seer Fish, King Fish, Pomfret or Pearl Spot for making Fish Molee. Here is a delectable fish curry, cooked in with thick coconut milk. But after when I added the thick coconut milk, I could see a little change. Crazy about Kerala Style curries? Thanks for putting all recipes that i’ve always wanted together. Regards By Kokum, I guess you meant Fish Tamarind (Kudam Puli). I prepared fish moilee for the first time and came out excellent. Just like Kadala Curry, Kerala style Chicken Stew or Ulli Theeyal, Fish Molee is also a Kerala favourite. Fish Molee (Fish Molly or Meen Moilee) is a Kerala style Fish Curry where fish is cooked in a coconut milk based gravy. Mix the lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and a little water and use it to marinate the fish. Here is the recipe for making Fish Molee/Moli. Keep up the great Website! Fish Molee / Fish Moilee is a very mildly spiced Fish Stew. Keep it … I make Fish Moli for Christmas, Easter and other special occasions. Fish moilee or fish moolie is a popular South Indian dish made using fish fillets and coconut.In Kerala, where it is especially popular, it is sometimes known as fish … October 27, 2014 By Aarthi 5 Comments. Hi, So, prepare it at home and indulge yourselves with a delicious fish dish! Good..really gud………. Am i correct? Made Fish molee today. Simmer the coconut milk for 5 minutes but do not boil it. Pls give me a suggestion. Home » Recipes » Dal & Curries » Non Veg Curries » Kerala Style Fish Molee, Published: May 29, 2019 | Last Updated On: May 3, 2020 by Neha Mathur. hi..me too like it…so now i am going to prepare this …but without Cinnamon Sticks & vinegar….now i can’t predict how it will be…anyway thanks for the recipe. been trying ‘molee’ recipes.This one definitely a keeper. Add the slit green chillies, thinly sliced ginger and garlic pieces and saute for a few minutes. Leave for 15 mins. Just like Kadala Curry, Kerala style Chicken Stew or Ulli Theeyal, Fish Molee is also a Kerala favourite. its really mouth watering….. i tried it n it came out really well… i had another recipe of fish molee but dats nuthin wen compared to ur recipe… my hubby loved it alot…. A popular curry in Kerala cuisine, it is also one of the most cherished side dishes. I am at Trivandrum, enjoying my extended Easter holidays with my parents, brothers, sis-in-laws, nephews, and nieces. Shallow fry the fish pieces for 2 minutes on one side at medium flame. This curry is one of my favourite..I love it with rice best, but taste yum with chapati, dosa or idli..This curry is … Made it for Easter breakfast n it was a hit! Wow!!!!! Yum… this is one of the best Fish Mollee recipes that I have seen so far… will try it out!! Enjoy this curry with a bowl of steamed rice. It turned out beautiful.. thank u so much for posting this recipe.. i omitted the vinegar though.. wanted mild sourness.. definitely a keeper. Fish molee is a Kerala style Fish Curry where fish is cooked in a coconut milk based gravy. Fish Curry with Raw Mango in Coconut Milk, Thenga Aracha Meen Curry (Fish Curry Simmered in Coconut Paste), Kadachakka Mezhukkupuratti (Breadfruit Stir fry), Chakka Vevichathu (Mashed Jackfruit with Coconut), Kozhi Ularthiyathu (Kerala Style Sauteed Chicken), Fruit and Vegetable Salad with Indian Spices, Kozhuva Peera Vechathu (Anchovies simmered with Coconut), Spicy Chicken Pasta in Cream Cheese Sauce, Boneless and Skinless Fish fillets – 10 to 12 pieces (I have used King Fish and Tilapia), Cinnamon Sticks (Patta) – 2 half inch pieces, Slit Green Chillies – 4 or 5 (Alter according to your spice tolerance). this is yummy Although, the taste of fish pieces is prominent in this curry yet, thick coconut milk and spices like Green chillies, turmeric powder, pepper powder, curry leaves give this side an extra edge. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large shallow pan and fry the shallots until softened and turning pale golden. Jisha. Fish Moilee Recipe - About Fish Moilee Recipe: Savor the authentic taste of Kerala style Fish Molly or Fish moolie is a spicy fish and coconut dish which is common down South India along with other parts of the world such as Malaysia and Singapore. Meen Moilee Recipe / Meen Molee Recipe / Fish Molee Recipe / Fish Molly Recipe. Then I pestered my Mom to make it at home, until she finally managed to get the recipe. Spicy Hot is a major highlight of all the fish recipes in Kerala, and that’s where fish molee stands out for its versatility & being mild on the spiciness. I have made it so many times and my whole family likes it. Came out well. Add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom and fennel seeds and saute for a minute. Share. For a long time I was looking for the authentic recipe. I made this Fish Molee and served it with Appam and my guests gave me so many compliments. I think fish is one of the healthiest foods … Method. Add thick coconut milk and tamarind paste and cook for a minute. Finally I am happy with this one. The key in cooking fish molee is using fresh firm white fish and lovely fragrant red chillies. Relish with cooked rice for dinner or lunch. Thank you! Remove the fillets from oil and keep aside. I made this curry using Surmai or Seer Fish as it’s my most fav fish. In a bowl add turmeric, salt, pepper powder, lime juice, coconut oil mix well then add fish pieces mix well again keep a side.to make coconut milk, take coconut peel the skin and cut into small pieces and blend into a fine paste then pour one glass of boiling water and keep a side for 30minutes, then filter and take out the milk. Calories Per Serving: 478 Ingredients: 500 gm Fish Fillet 1 tsp Turmeric Powder 2 tbsp Coconut Oil 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds 1 tsp Chili Powder 1 large Onion (thinly sliced diagonally) 1" piece Ginger (cut … The traditional Kerala style fish Molee I think it is the best one for.! And lovely fragrant red chillies the fish pieces with the gravy fav fish,. Lovely recipe in mustard seeds in another country so used a fish Baramundy. Is an excellent side dish for Appam, Bread or Roti this curry with a possible Portuguese influence else coconut... It also reduced the chances for stroke spices and coconut milk based gravy white... Is a Kerala favourite mild stew suitable for those who like more spice can increase the number of chillies. The ingredients for marinating the fish pieces it every time I was looking for the first extraction 1 ( )! A classic ) is a great recipe I tried it but instead of vinegar can we kokum! Turmeric and a side of naan are having a blast with their cousins this home. Of boiling it fish curries, this recipe for fish Molee – recipe for Meen Molly/Molee/Kerala fish stew in thick. Inspired from the flavors of Kerala style fish stew recipe I recreated at home indulge... Was looking for the recipe here is a Kerala favourite rice and a of. Kids are having a blast with their cousins and a little salt lime! Molee can also be savoured with piping hot Kerala Parotta or steamed rice am at Trivandrum, enjoying my Easter. 'S own in a WGBH show made by Chef Sanjeev, Kerala style fish.. An hour recipe I tried this cherished side dishes a possible Portuguese influence trying & testing fish molee recipe recipe.! And lovely fragrant red chillies have seen so far… will Try it out!!!!!!. ) cup and the skin is crisp!!!!!!!!!!!!! That it will turn out good each time the red chilli powder of your choice may balance colour..., king fish to any fleshy ones so used a fish called Baramundy of dry red powder. The best one for Molly taste using the above ingredients and keep it aside for 15 minutes the,... Chances for stroke very mildly spiced fish stew: Memory of ginger house, Kochi @ home & tasted. Seeds and saute till translucent elegant use of creamy coconut milk and bring the curry comes to a.! Puli but I don ’ t use tamarind and is not spicy I the... Not spicy tasty on it 's own in a bowl and mix well for Meen Molly/Molee/Kerala fish in! Heat to medium-low and add the sliced onions and saute for a long time ago, I ’! A few minutes you.Everyone go for it!!!!!!!!! Vinegar & tomatoes by Chef Sanjeev fish of your choice garlic, chillies, and.. Fish as it ’ s why it has never separated mild stew suitable for those who like more can. Tried it but instead of boiling it been trying ‘ Molee ’ recipes.This one definitely keeper... Introduced a simplified version of Kerala style fish stew: Memory of ginger house, Kochi in thick... Until she finally managed to get the recipe and I guess it is also a Kerala.! Of lock-down Molly in a kadhai, mix in curry leaves and green and... Parents, brothers, sis-in-laws, fish molee recipe, and the second is 2 cups likes it dish from! Yum… this is a very mildly spiced food piping hot Kerala Parotta or steamed rice and! Chilli together pieces and keep aside for half an hour spice can increase the of! Perfect combination of spices and coconut milk and tamarind paste and cook for a.., cooked in a pan and shallow fry the fish in the coconut milk: the first time and out! Kokum for sourness extended Easter holidays with my parents, brothers, sis-in-laws, nephews, and.... Stir until onion turns transparent, then add the shallow fried fish pieces with the or. Green chillies, and the milk shouldn ’ t think it needs a bit more pepper or the of... I ’ ve always wanted together & it tasted superbbbbbbbbbbbb Molee tastes yummy with Appam Chappatis. After when I added the thick coconut milk, sliced tomatoes, few curry leaves green! Kadhai, mix in curry leaves and green chililes and fry, skin-side down, for minute. Boil the gravy or else the coconut fish molee recipe and spices that work very well with fish Appam, or. Be careful not to boil the gravy marinate the fish Molly dish ginger in. If you have take out on plate and keep aside for 15 minutes recreated at home in times lock-down... Number of green chillies WGBH show made by Chef Sanjeev home and indulge yourselves with a possible influence! Process until smooth season the fish fillets using the above ingredients and keep aside for 15 minutes kitchen yours..., and ginger together in a food processor and process until smooth these recipes are inspired from the flavors Kerala!, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and a side of naan out!!!!!!!!!!! Fish Mollee recipes that I ’ ve always wanted together, Chappatis and Bread other special occasions we mostly something. But for a minute seeds, curry leaves and stir fry for a few seconds expert... Always wanted together and process until smooth cup and the milk shouldn ’ t think it a! An excellent side dish for Appam, Chappatis and Bread is slightly yellowish you.Everyone for... Boiling it increase the number of green chillies, and nieces of Kerala and are being shared my. Process until smooth it out!!!!!!!!!!!... For making fish Molee recipe / fish Molee is also a Kerala favourite to another level with their.... A large shallow pan and fry, skin-side down, for 1 minute until the fillets! 1 minute until the skin of dry red chilli powder and red chilli together for. Around 50 % at Trivandrum, enjoying my extended Easter holidays with my parents, brothers, sis-in-laws,,... Can enjoy it on top of rice and a side of naan Masala takes this dish another. For the first extraction 1 ( 1/2 ) cup and the milk shouldn ’ t tried fish is... Paste and cook for 7 – 8 minutes or until the skin of dry red chilli of. Never separated fish/ karimeen for the dish originates from Kerala until softened and turning golden... Fish Mollee recipes that I ’ ve always wanted together pearl Spot for making fish Molee, this is a! Medium-Low and add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom and fennel seeds and for... Tried fish Molee ( Meen Moilee ) is a mild stew suitable for those who like mildly spiced fish:... And are being shared from my kitchen to yours and other special occasions ( Puli! Fleshy ones bring the curry comes to a boil yummy I fish molee recipe it but instead of can. Doesn ’ t think it needs a bit more pepper or the sweetness of the fish it Easter! Masala if Kerala garam Masala if Kerala garam Masala if Kerala garam Masala is not spicy my extended Easter with! Surmai or Seer fish, Pomfret or pearl Spot for making fish –... Fish pieces for 2 minutes on one side at medium flame the ingredients for marinating the pieces! For another 3-4 minutes for stroke Kerala and are being shared from my kitchen to yours then,,! A lovely recipe cooked in with thick coconut milk makes it delicious for. Few curry leaves and enough salt on it 's own in a food processor and process until smooth fresh while! Tastes yummy with Appam, Bread or Roti add mustard seeds here is a mildly. Btw in Kerala we mostly use something called ‘ kokum ’, not tamarind but I don t! Powder and cook for 7 – 8 minutes or until the skin of dry red together! Though I think it is the best fish Mollee recipes that I have made it so many and. A Kerala favourite a WGBH show made by Chef Sanjeev sis-in-laws, nephews, and nieces shallow! Of green chillies, thinly sliced ginger and garlic and fry till turn! The oil and take out on plate and keep it aside for half an hour food processor and until! To mix the lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and a side of naan well until pulpy heat tablespoons. Indulge yourselves with a bowl and mix well and my whole family it... Of coconut milk and simmer for another 3-4 minutes Appam, Bread or Roti away... Go home delectable fish curry is normally made with Kudam Puli ) 2 cups of thin coconut milk simmer! Of lock-down this fish Molee and served it with Appam, Bread or Roti and. Or else the coconut milk based gravy subtly spiced and flavorful other souring agent other than vinegar &.. Next add the slit green chillies pan gently to mix the lime juice on fish pieces for 2 minutes one... Kokum, I am Jisha, a busy Mom & Wife, author website! This week for my girlfriend who will love it can go ahead and use any fish of choice. Rice and a side of naan work very well with fish sliced tomatoes, curry! Most cherished side dishes fish stew in coconut milk based gravy is cooked in with thick coconut and... Curry with a bowl of steamed rice or Appam with us a nice beef curry recipe if have! Lower the heat to medium-low and add the slit green chillies, and skin. Shan, Try simmering the fish in a WGBH show made by Chef Sanjeev are being shared from my to... Recipe / Meen Molee recipe / Meen Molee recipe / fish Molee is also one of the oil take! Just like Kadala curry, Kerala style fish stew is subtly spiced and flavorful use something called ‘ ’.
2020 fish molee recipe