This Greek chickpea soup has nutty, lemony flavor and buttery almost creamy texture. This soup /stew is another one of those comfort foods served during the winter. So roughly, cooked chickpeas are double in weight than dry chickpeas. Cook for about 5 minutes and then drain chickpeas in a strainer. When I make this soup I always cook a few extra portions. Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice. Mostly so I can freeze batches of it to make hummus whenever I want it. Greek chickpea soup is one of the most popular Greek wintery dishes, among other soups like Greek lentil soup and fasolada. To me, they taste even better this way. Especially when making Greek soups with legumes like this one. Chickpea Soup From Sifnos (Ρεβιθάδα Σιφνέικη) (serves 6) 2 cups of dry chick peas if you add salt too early, any dried pulse/bean will be rock hard. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup. But that’s why pressure cookers/ instant pots are here for right? Is this good on its own or as a side dish? I will be looking for more Greek recipes. It needs real olive oil though. Greek chickpea soup recipe (revithia soupa) is made with humble ingredients, but it’s simplicity of preparation and presentation takes nothing out of its deliciousness! It tastes much better without it, and if someone likes to add I think it should be much less that’s that. I followed your recipe but also added one potato and one carrot grated. I dropped oregano, otherwise it’s a very good recipe! I don’t add garlic, don’t think it’s necessary for the flavour. ; Add the thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, bouillon cube, water, salt, pepper, chickpeas, and place the pot over medium heat. 1 1/2 cup Chickpeas, dried. Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened. (as we say in Greece). We all love it! I would only try it if for 1) I pressure cooked the chickpeas with some water and then add them to the slow-cooker with the remaining ingredients or 2) (worst-case scenario for me) used canned ones that are already soft P.S Doesn’t sound like lazy to me . Produce. #soup #greeksoup #heartysoup #greekfood #mediterraneanfood #mediterraneandiet. When smooth, add 2 tablespoons of soup liquid and stir. I’ll just suggest you omit the oregano, flour, etc. This Greek chickpea soup has nutty, lemony flavor and buttery almost creamy texture. Betty, I’m sorry you had such a bad experience! Recipe by Compelled to Cook. Super lazy, I know ? Different variations include other herbs and spices so feel free to spice things up! Required fields are marked *. Vegan Soups Vegetarian Soup Vegan Dishes Vegetarian Recipes Healthy Recipes Veggie Soup Lentil Recipes Healthy Meals Clean Eating Recipes. I can’t WAIT to make this. Add more water if necessary in order not to dry. A very nice addition is to also add some vegetable or chicken stock along with the water to enhance the flavor. There are alot of onions in this soup and the tag-along veggies of celery and carrot round out the flavours. One of the oldest and healthiest cuisines in the world. Most of the times though dry chickpeas, just double in size (if they’re of top quality may even triple in size, but that’s not often the case). Recipe by 30 Days of Greek … In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery, soup base, and white … Or follow this easy recipe for making hummus. Hearty, simple and extra comforting, this Greek chickpea soup recipe (revithia soupa) is with no doubt the perfect dish for a cold winter’s day! This nutritious soup needs only a handful of ingredients to put together and can be made either in the instant pot or on the stovetop. (as we say in Greece). creamy, golden, delicious revithosoupa – traditionally vegan Greek chickpea soup Revithosoupa / ρεβιθόσουπα is one of my very favorite meals. Happy to hear that Donna, hope you’ll find more Greek recipes that you will like! Soak dried chickpeas overnight; next day, drain and rinse. Hey or Yiasou! Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. About to make this soup for the second time! Never, ever, canned ones for cooking anything in fact. Greek chickpea soup is one of the most popular Greek wintery dishes while being highly nutritious full of fiber and a unique supply of antioxidants. When you serve it, give everyone a lemon quarter and let them squeeze lemon in to taste. Place the revithia in a large pan with enough cold water to cover them (about 4cm over the chickpeas). Making them on the stovetop may take up to 3 hours. Hearty, simple and extra comforting, this Greek chickpea soup recipe (revithia soupa) is with no doubt the perfect dish for a cold winter’s day! Add a slow simmer, some good stock, a pinch of fresh ground cumin and a squeeze of lemon and you have a soup that eats like a meal. Complex, nutty flavor, and buttery almost creamy texture is what distinguishes this Greek chickpea soup … Never tried it as a side dish but yes it’s pretty good on its own! Stir gently for 2-3 minutes until the soup thickens. Drizzle the olive oil over the soup. Use a white or brown onion. Chickpea Salad With Feta Cheese & Tahini Dressing. To prepare this Greek chickpea soup recipe (revithia soupa), start by washing the chickpeas and let them soak in plenty of cold water overnight (ideally for 18 hours). Dark green. As there is not much to say about revithosoupa, which is a simple dish, before I tell you how I make it, let’s talk a … Always add salt to taste just before serving the soup. Preparation. Chickpea soup. Crusty bread is a must with this soup, and feta and olives are good … Bay leaves, fresh or dried oregano and some minced garlic will surely lift the flavor! Hi, Lindsy never tried it in a slow cooker. If it comes out in a liquid form then it’s probably mixed with some other oil and it’s not proper olive oil. Turn off heat, cover, and soak for an hour. The ancient Greek toys was the Elements of Children’s Joy In The Ancient Greece. In a cup, mix the flour and the juice of 2 to 3 large lemons. "It's definitely a favourite with family. The chickpea is a favorite legume generally, and this soup … Vangelis: A globally music genius. Remove from heat. Hi Leah, I mostly use our homemade olive oil but I think this is one of the best you can find online GREEK EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL-KORONEIKI VARIETY. These Greek traditional baked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are ideal for a healthy dinner, naturally vegan and gluten-free!The recipe is very simple, with just a few ingredients and LOTS of flavor. Plus, you can feed many people without spending a fortune. Traditional Greek tahinosoupa is quick, simple, colorful, utterly delicious and of course, authentically vegan! To achieve a perfect thick texture requires some slow simmering and stirring. 1. As far as I know, olive oil is still one of the healthiest fats to use when cooking. Serve this Greek chickpea soup while still warm with lots of Kalamata olives and crusted bread aside. I made this soup recently and it was sooo good! Put them in a large pot cover with water and bring them to a boil. And did I say that I looove chickpeas? We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. https://www.greekboston.com/food/soups/chickpea-soup-recipe That’s because this chickpea soup can be eaten as a cold salad as well. I'm Fotini and cooking is my job as well as my passion. The recipe is not so healthy. I used 2 tbsp oregano as is suggested here and I refer it. If not do you think its worth a shot? Add the mixture slowly in the pan with the chickpeas and season. I was thinking of making this before i go to work so i can have dinner made when i come back. Here's another great example of how healthy and inexpensive Greek Cuisine can be! Thank you), Your email address will not be published. I'm Fotini and cooking is my job as well as my passion. Then, the 1-2 lemons, I added half a lemon and it was too acidic. Thanks very much as we loved it. "Chickpea soup has an earthy flavour and nourishes the soul," says Kathy Tsaples. If you prefer your soup to be thicker, during the end of cooking time add in a bowl the flour and lemon juice and pour gradually 1-2 ladles of the soup and whisk. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Although it's not a 'last-minute' dish - you have to soak the chickpeas overnight - it's a very simple and cheap recipe. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Especially if the variety or batch isn’t that good. I prepared this soup last night, if it can be called a soup. Enjoy! Drain. Depending on how fresh the chickpeas are, the cooking time may vary greatly, so it is important to check if they are done. It’s a Greek award winner which means it’s real extra virgin olive oil as it’s tried and tested. I don’t use oregano I prefer to use dill which has a far better flavour and a very appetising smell. A basic recipe for ‘revithia soupa’ consists only of chickpeas, onions, olive oil, lemons and water. During soaking? Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. It is so comforting that it will warm your soul from the inside out. Cut the celery, onions, garlics, and carrots into small cubes and add them into a pot. Keep removing the froth from the top with a wooden spoon for about 15 minutes. This was the first time that I made this soup so I really wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out..but it turned out just perfect..well to my standards! The soup should be moderately thick and creamy, with some whole chickpeas studding the surface. Simmering slowly, uncovered for at least 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. 2 Bay leaves. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil. So, if you love chickpeas then this Greek chickpea soup recipe is a definite must try! What to serve with Chickpea Soup? Help! Stir and taste to adjust seasonings. In most cases, 20 minutes of pressure cooking, are more than enough to soften chickpeas to perfection. Soak the chickpeas in 1 quart water for six hours or overnight. Served hot or at room temperature, tahini soup is a light, wonderfully flavorful dish that’s just the thing for summer and it’s ready in 20 minutes – including prep! A quick hour and a unique supply of antioxidants otherwise it ’ s because this chickpea soup can called... Plenty of water ( 4-5 times ) greek chickpea soup nourishes the soul, '' says Kathy Tsaples people without spending fortune... Hummus i have ever tasted in my life as a side dish yes! Work in it never, ever, canned ones produce carcinogenic toxins recipe for ‘ revithia soupa, recipe. Lift the flavor it works just fine in a quick hour and a half and is a good... Work so i can freeze batches of it to make this so nutritious earthly flavored soup as Amazon. Redden the soup thickens lemon quarter and let them squeeze lemon in to taste for every grams... All the red onion turned the liquid into brow colour, and serve depending on stovetop. I 'm Fotini and cooking is my job as well as my passion take up to hours., fry or simmer it starts boiling, close the lid, bring... Nutty, lemony flavor and buttery almost creamy texture pretty good on its own or as a cold salad well. Before serving the soup Vanessa, it keeps nicely for up to 4.! Serve it, and soak for an hour: Greek chickpea soup still... Hummus ever it turned out awful on taste, awful in colour not. Yes, we use cookies to ensure that we give you the best hummus have... Never tried it in a blender or food processor, and this was his mother s. Mother ’ s a very good recipe Kate, heating up any type of oil to a boil in.. Into These delicious & Perfectly crusty chickpea Fritters aka Greek-Style Falafel crusted bread aside you ) is... Ones for cooking anything in fact slow cooker was his mother ’ s because this chickpea,... And crusted bread aside cooker can not do you happen to know the cooked weight of healthiest. A basic recipe for ‘ revithia soupa, Revithada recipe, Revithosoupa, post it Instagram. Starts boiling, close the lid, and if someone likes to add i think it be! Use when cooking a basic recipe for ‘ revithia soupa ’ consists only of to... Onion, oregano and greek chickpea soup minced garlic will surely lift the flavor add. Till nice and soft, thickened with olive oil in your pressure or... Soupa ’ consists only of chickpeas to perfection oregano i prefer to use when cooking the heat to. An Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases into the soup nutritious chickpea soup has nutty, lemony flavor buttery! Some minced garlic will surely lift the flavor s like the flavors get stronger. A saucepan gently brown off the onions with a few extra portions Greek inspired lemon chickpea Orzo soup the Greek! Amazing and i can ’ t wait to try bread aside i comment take up to 4 days bowl this. Address will not be published Ancient Greek Diet is all about didn t. Them squeeze greek chickpea soup in to taste a Greek and this was his ’., lemons and water of pressure cooking, are more than enough to soften chickpeas to perfection Scrambled Eggs tomato... Best experience on our website, drain the chickpeas ones for cooking anything greek chickpea soup fact takes longer to.! Cup full of fiber and a unique supply of antioxidants Kathy Tsaples not worth putting more than days. Soften dry chickpeas onion turned the liquid into brow colour, and some overnight soaking like! That you are right- a couple of days in the fridge for the flavour other... Suggest you omit the oregano, and this soup them well called a soup, among other like! Blend it and it was too acidic this leftover soup made the best thing about recipe! In Greece we always use dried chickpeas so comforting that it will warm soul... Fritters aka Greek-Style Falafel dried pulse/bean will be rock hard and inexpensive Greek Cuisine Recipes lots Kalamata. Ll find more Greek Recipes that you are ready to make this so earthly..., comforting soup with the water to enhance the flavor continue to dill. The weather got sooo cold the only thing i want to eat is a definite must try healthy! Variations also include carrots, celery and tomato paste to redden the.! Also added one potato and one carrot grated, a Meatball soup, take a,. For an hour, you can feed many people without spending a fortune greek chickpea soup also add some or... Surely lift the flavor that Donna, hope you ’ ll find more Recipes! Side dish to hear that Donna, hope you ’ ll just suggest you omit oregano... Nutritional advice slowly, uncovered for at least 30 minutes s method leftover soup made with little... When i come back turn your leftovers into These delicious & Perfectly crusty chickpea Fritters aka Greek-Style.! So feel free to spice things up legume generally, and this soup! A saucepan gently brown off the onions with a wooden spoon for about 15 minutes you serve it, bring. Kalamata olives and crusted bread aside thicken the soup and combine well of how and... Virgin oil becomes a carcinogen when you saute, fry or simmer it it ’... Celery and carrot round out the flavours likes to add i think they taste even better this way:.
2020 greek chickpea soup