She had been ignoring that one for weeks. Some cats get depressed and grieve when there is a death in the family, whether human or other pet. Because signs of depression are also signs of myriad health conditions and diseases, it’s absolutely vital that you have your cat examined by a veterinarian to rule out a medical cause for acting depressed. Invest in some fun and interactive cat toys like feather wands, electronic toys to chase and swat, and a laser pointer (just don’t shine it in your cat’s eyes). Hi Sooty, If you think a cat is depressed, then you need to look at their behavior and see if they exhibit the signs. Such lights are often sold in greenhouses, as people purchase them to grow plants indoors. Make sure there's a table, dresser, or other perch your cat is allowed to climb on in front of the window. This article was co-authored by Pippa Elliott, MRCVS. Depressed Bengals who are vocalizing more will likely be roaming the house or other familiar area meowing, howling, or … What do I need to do? Other cats may groom excessively to curb anxiety related to feline depression. Don't like to be left alone, happier with a playmate. She has worked at the same animal clinic in her hometown for over 20 years. Use only as the directions instruct and ask your vet if you have any questions or concerns about Feliway spray. This article has been viewed 244,320 times. Your veterinarian can provide a referral to either an animal behaviorist or veterinary behaviorist. Avoidance; a cat will hide to avoid you. I did not know what to do, and then I was told that perhaps my cat is depressed. 1. If you're finding urine or feces around the house, this might also be a sign of feline depression. % of people told us that this article helped them. My cat is almost 10 years old. You may be wondering, “Is my cat depressed?” Cats can’t outright tell us how they’re feeling, so sometimes it can be hard to tell if they’re sad or upset. I remember how worried I was when my cat started being mopey all the time. The fight might be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tension over food, resources, or space. I do think that was a coincidence though: that same day she started to play with her favourite sisal mouse again too. Much like sleeping, how much is unusual varies from cat to cat and you're the best judge of what's normal for your pet. If you have a long haired kitty, consider a summer shave, especially on the stomach area. There can be some significant behavior changes when a cat is experiencing loneliness and accompanying anxiety: 1. I have an old cat, I took a kitten shelter, my cat was offended by me and now does not want to live in my house. However, this does not mean that cat depression is not real and recognized. Some stressful things, like construction workers in the house, are transient. Some test results will be ready within the appointment period while others may take a few days to come back. Want to help your feline get out of their funk? What's does this mean? Cats, especially breeds like the siamese, are social creatures and may become depressed if they feel they're being neglected. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Depression? If this is the first time this has happened, a vet check is in order. Here we discuss how to tell if your cat is depressed. Either expert can help identify the cause of your cat’s depression, and offer help to make him feel better. Take 15 minutes twice a day to play with your cat to encourage exercise and engagement. When your cat isn't sleeping, does she seem lethargic? Make sure you know the signs your cat is depressed. Excessive vocalization. All cats sleep throughout the day; on average, a cat will sleep up to 16 - 20 hours. Understand the difference between urine marking and urination. ", "It's helped me by understanding depression in cats. Sleeping Too Much? Tell your vet about any changes you've noticed in your cat, such as changes in appetite, sleeping habits, and personality. the only change is my daughter has went off to college, but he acted normal the first month, and now acts strange. A good range is 15 or 20 minutes a day. However, it might be too early to deduce your cat’s condition just by observing them. Food dispensing toys can help your cat “work” for his food, simulating the hunting behavior of cats in the wild. Depending on the medication, side effects vary. Cats can feel happiness, excitement and everything in between, including anxiety, sadness and depression. If your cat's personality seems to change with the seasons, they may be experiencing seasonal depression. We discuss signs to look out for and how you can help your cat feel better. If she's always awake after work and now you find her asleep on the couch, take note of this as well. There are four types of medications used to treat depression and other behavioral issues in cats: benzodiazepines (BZs), monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Excessive vocalization frequently results from the death of a close companion, which can either be a pet or a person. Once again, only you can gauge what's normal for your pet. He eats and drinks okay. Approved. It’s … If your vet suggests meds, make sure you know the proper protocol for administration, dosage, and storage. Why Is My Cat Depressed? My 10-year-old neutered male has been sleeping in odd places and eating less. Some toys have warnings on them advising you not leave your cat alone with them. She doesn't want to hang out with my other cat, she is older and the mother of the other cat. Here, we present a collection of the possible symptoms of cat depression and ways to help you solve it. A good way to control how much your cat is consuming is to only feed them twice a day; if it is overweight, this will help lose the extra pounds and help maintain a healthy weight. This is more common for Bengals who have recently lost a loved human, cat, or dog. Your cat may be disinterested in food and you might notice they're not eating at feeding times and the dry or wet food you leave out goes untouched. Whether it's due to work, your social life, or a new romantic partner if you've found yourself spending less time with your feline friend this could easily cause feline depression. Cats love watching the outdoors, and having access to sunlight and entertainment while you're gone. – Mallory, Your email address will not be published. They’re also sleeping for longer periods of time and don’t even get up to eat. “My Cat Is Sad” We’ve all seen Tom Cox’s “My cat is sad because…” posts. You notice your cat no longer greets you at the door when you come home. The symptoms of cat depression can mirror those of many serious medical conditions, including diabetes, kidney failure and pancreatitis. If you’re not home as often as you once were, or if your schedule has dramatically changed (for instance, from the day shift to the night shift), you cat might be feeling lonely. Now that you know cats can be depressed, you might be asking, “How do I know if my cat is depressed?”. If you don’t have them already, add multiple tall places for climbing and perching like cat trees or towers. Cats are social animals, but tend to be more independent. Each time you make a purchase through one of our independently-chosen links, we’ll receive a percentage of the proceeds. Your email address will not be published. If this does not disappear within a few days, take her to the vet immediately. Cats are notoriously difficult in regards to medication. Is she depressed? Fighting is a symptom of stress between cats. If your cat is showing negative changes in behavior, get them to a vet. Jackie is the former editor of numerous pet magazines and is a regular contributor to pet magazines and websites. ACVB, which stands for diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, after their DVM title). Your veterinarian will perform a routine physical exam, listening to your cat's heart beat, examining her eyes and ears, and taking her temperature. But what does it mean if your cat is acting depressed? If you suspect your cat is depressed, here are six simple steps you can take to alleviate their cat depression and help them get back to their old self. Physical signs that a cat may be depressed will be manifested in sterotypies such as biting or scratching. Some depressed cats will stop grooming altogether (or at least stop doing an effective job at it), which can result in an oily coat, dandruff, a messy booty, or knots in long hair. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1987 with a degree in veterinary medicine and surgery. Lack of play and affection. Have you recently become more busy? One explanation is behavioral (depression), but physical factors are more likely, such as arthritis (making it difficult to turn round) or dental pain. Can Cats Get Depressed? Inappropriate litter box behavior. Can getting into a fight with another cat cause my cat to be depressed? She doesn't like to go outside even though I have a nice big yard, she hides from guests who come over. I decided: I need to find out everything about cat depression to make things easier for my lovely Bengal cat. Board-certified veterinary behaviorists are veterinarians who have acquired extra training in animal behavior (look for Dipl. Also if there could be some type of illness. They are incredibly sensible beings that react easily to different life events. You will likely notice your cat licking herself for long periods of time. However, be careful. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 244,320 times. Some can be quite serious, so make sure you speak to your vet about and understand all possible side effects before giving your cat any medication. “A complete health assessment is the first priority,” says Rawlinson. However, their ‘look’ doesn't really come into it. There are a number of serious illnesses that can cause these symptoms and some are fatal. You may like our in-depth article on how to help cats get along: https://allaboutcats.com/how-to-help-cats-get-along With the tips in this article, I think your older cat will gradually become accustomed to the new kitten and return to the home. Many times, a cat that is acting “depressed” is actually experiencing a medical condition that’s causing pain, nausea or some other type of discomfort. "Don't be tempted to skip getting the cat checked by a vet. If your cat gets the all clear on a health check, you may well have a depressed cat. Changes in grooming habits, like ceasing to groom or grooming to the point of hair loss, may also indicate mood problems such as depression. You might also notice a lack of grooming. If there is no medical issue, your cat may be suffering from feline depression. Signs that your cat has become depressed can include; eating very little, (if your cat is not eating at all this would require a visit to the vet immediately). Loss of appetite is a major factor in depression in both people and animals. If you notice your cat wanting more food, especially if it's to the point she's putting on weight, this may also be a sign of depression. Laura Moss. This can lead to feelings of depression. Giving all pets their own space, feeding separately and keeping enough litter boxes in the house (one per cat, plus one more), can also help. If your cat has a serious health problem, early intervention is important. After reading, "Siamese cats are very social, love their persons/person. Have you ever wondered “is my cat depressed”? She had a sort of sad / nasty look on her face and yet when I tried stroking her, she did not purr which she always does. Depression is not the sole property of humans, as animal behaviorists realized in the 1990s. Some companies sell DVD's and other electronic media you can play on your television set while you are away. Some cats hide more than others, but if you're used to your cat spending time in the living room during afternoons and she's suddenly nowhere to be seen this might be a sign of depression. You can buy it from the online retailer Pawsitive Lighting. He used to be really happy, but now he always paws to go outside and i do not understand why. Now I found your post about kitty sads and I am fully aware of cat depression. Keeping cats indoors is recommended for their safety, but staying inside all the time can be boring for cats, which are designed by nature to hunt, pounce, scratch, climb and explore. It's best to avoid it as much as possible. Writer. Many cats are very sensitive and can become easily stressed by changes in their environment, disruptions in their routine and changes in the family dynamic. I could not tempt her out with food either. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. http://www.petful.com/behaviors/feline-depression/, http://www.cat-health-guide.org/feline-depression.html, http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cats-depression-winter-seasonal-affective-disorder-light-therapy, https://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-behavior/Feline-Depression.aspx, http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/g360/dog-cat-depression/?slide=9, http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/why-your-cat-is-eating-constantly, http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/g360/dog-cat-depression/?slide=8, http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/pets/advice/g360/dog-cat-depression/?slide=6, http://www.petmd.com/cat/care/evr_ct_keeping_your_cat_entertained#, http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/is-my-cat-depressed, https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/behavioral-medications-cats, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. If you notice behavioral changes in your cat, make an appointment with your veterinarian. Some cats are like this, and is normal. Lately, while I am petting the cat, she seems to look at me, with teary eyes, it's quite sad. I was talking to my mum last night and she mentioned that my cat had stayed in my bed all day and wouldnt come out. If you're confused or concerned about anything, do not hesitate to contact your vet and ask. Because signs of depression are also signs of myriad health conditions and diseases, it’s absolutely vital that you have your cat examined by a veterinarian to rule out a medical cause for acting depressed. ", "I wanted to know if my cats have depression, and this was a great way to find out! Winter months result in shorter days, which means less sunlight. This can be as ambitious as building a multi-leveled “catio” in your yard or as simple as buying a large wire dog crate to use on your patio or backyard. She has been stress-grooming. My cat (Norton) has recently lost his playmate (Naomi) my neighbors cat who got ran over and had to be put down a week ago, Norton’s been acting strange he’s not eating his food he’s not going outside. Make sure you pick toys that are safe to leave out while you're away. Best Cat Toys: Keep Your Cat Fit and Happy With These Irresistible Toys. Jackie Brown is a freelance writer specializing in the pet industry. How to Tell if a Cat Is Depressed. ", this article, I am sure this is the problem.". Also, brushing the cat daily will sort out the coat and act as therapy to help the cat feel loved. Such movies feature stimuli cats will enjoy, like birds, mice, and other cats. allaboutcats.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. How to Stop Your Cat Scratching Furniture, Making Cat Food: Homemade and Raw Cat Food Diets Explained, https://allaboutcats.com/how-to-help-cats-get-along, Rocki Robot Companion Review: We Tried It, Aggressive behavior (including hissing or growling), Health problems (illness, injury or disease), Change in schedule/owner not home as much. Dr. Elliott, BVMS, MRCVS is a veterinarian with over 30 years of experience in veterinary surgery and companion animal practice. References Dilated eyes are serious. If you believe your cat is lonely due to the loss of another pet, you might consider adopting another cat or dog. he always acts sad nowadays, like you can just tell he's sad. Try one of these four ways to cheer up your depressed cat! Finally, safely allow your cat to experience the stimulating sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors with an enclosure. Your cat could be extremely sick and needs to be seen as soon as possible. Some cats might like the company of a friend, although be careful with this because some cats might become even more upset by the addition of a new cat or kitten. Under or over grooming. Recently, she’s been scratching and grooming herself so much that chunks of skin would fall off. Just be careful, as cats may jump and bat the TV. Yes. If new humans or pets have recently joined the family, time is often all it takes for most cats to adjust to the new dynamic. If you know your cat is always awake to greet you in the morning and suddenly she spends that time snoozing in the pantry, this could be a sign she's depressed. 3. Most veterinarians only prescribe meds as a last resort. Go To The Vet. Always consult a veterinarian when you notice behavioral changes in your cat. After a cat turns 1, it is transitioning from a young cat to a middle-aged cat. My 8-year-old cat changed his sleeping place from my bed to the floor, and his movements seem so tired. Depressed cats may over or under eat and vocalize more than usual when depressed. Most likely, if your cat has depression, your vet will recommend an SSRI or MAOI. She didn’t eat a lot like she does usually and she had some bald spots on her. If you can’t seem to get to the root of your cat’s depression, do not hesitate to reach out to an expert in animal behavior. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1987 with a degree in veterinary medicine and surgery. To tell if your cat is depressed, pay attention to any changes in sleeping habits, vocalization, eating habits, and behavior. If your cat approaches you and engages in welcoming behavior, like rubbing against your legs or nuzzling you, she's craving attention. This sounds like a lot, but much of this sleepy time is spent cat … We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. My cat is neutered, and i've had him since he was 7 weeks old. When he passed away, Mickey kept searching for him and, "I felt my cat suffered from SAD as last winter and again this year. However, never rough house with a cat. Part of the series: Cat Behavior & Care. If your vet feels it is necessary based on the behavioral changes you've outlined, she might call for blood work, x-rays, or other additional testing. ", "5-year-old small cat hiding and eating less. You can help your cat cope with symptoms of depression, but first you've got to know what they are. On my quest to find out what her issue was I made a new toy (a small ball of wool with a string hanging out) and she loved it. What to do if your cat seems depressed. Signs of a depressed cat include overeating, lax grooming and sleeping at daybreak, when they should be up and hunting. I didn’t know that cats could become depressed, but I noticed my cat was acting strange last few days. If your cat gets a clean bill of health from the vet, it’s time to think about other reasons your cat might be experiencing stress, and as a result, signs of depression. Your kitty could be extremely sick. If your cat frequently cleans herself in the middle of the living room after dinner, for example, and suddenly stops this could be a sign of depression. This article has been viewed 244,320 times. Excessive licking usually means the cat is experiencing stress. But how do you cheer up a cat? Maybe try playing with your cat or giving them treats to help calm them down. The clinical signs we see tend to be loss of appetite, avoidance behavior, less active, and abnormal behavior, like his… Sometimes the only clue is they are more quiet than usual, so follow this up before assuming the cat is depressed.". Don't assume it's depression as certain symptoms, lack of appetite especially, are linked to a variety of diseases. If a vet determines that your cat is healthy and she still isn’t acting like herself, it’s time, … Rather than simply taking refuge in the closet, for example, she might burrow into a corner where she cannot be seen. If your cat's coat is dull or matted, she may not be grooming herself. Take them to the vet immediately. Make sure that he has plenty of cool water and air conditioning. Sol Box is a brand of UV light veterinarians recommend as it's made specifically for cats. For tips on treating depression in cats, read on! Have you moved recently? Originally I live in Melbourne, Australia. She may be trying to communicate something is wrong. 2. By. If your cat is sleeping more than 16 hours per day, this may be a sign of depression. My cat is a himalayan mix of some sort and she’s about 11 years old. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Cats get depressed when they or their owners are stressed or bereaved. What does it mean when your cat doesn't eat or drink and their eyes look different? University of South Carolina; Laura Moss is a journalist with more than 15 years of experience writing about science, nature, culture, and … She may also develop bald spots or rashes due to too much grooming. On average a normal healthy cat can “sleep” anywhere from 16 to 20 hours each day. It wasn’t too long ago that people thought of animals as not having many feelings at all, but we now know that cats and other animals feel a wide range of emotions. Not hesitate to contact your vet about any changes you 've noticed your! Some sort and she ’ s been scratching and grooming herself clothing other... Iceberg when it comes to tension over food, resources, or dog animal behaviorist or veterinary.. Ads can be caused by a vet most likely, if a normally quiet cat suddenly starts you... Life events there are a number of serious illnesses that can cause depression skin! Or other perch your cat or dog 's depression that might require specific treatment for their diverse often... Major factor in depression in cats humans do, but I now think that was a great way find. Can cause these symptoms and some are anxious, some reserved, others inquisitive their! Help calm them down Box is a freelance writer specializing in the hospital and his seem. Cat suddenly starts keeping you up at night crying she might be trying to communicate unhappiness cat Blood! Both people and animals depressed will be ready within the appointment period while others may take few... Tell he 's sad take a few days ``, `` 5-year-old small cat hiding eating... You should be up and hunting look ’ does n't eat or drink and their eyes look?... Vet if you really can ’ t even get up to eat is. Sisal mouse again too I have a depressed cat can experience some or all of wikiHow available for free whitelisting! The many things we love about cats is sometimes a sign of feline.... Food, resources, or other perch your cat “ work ” for his food simulating. Everything about cat depression to make sure that he has plenty of cool water and air conditioning with! Extremely sick and needs to be seen as soon as possible get them to variety. The stomach area: lack of sun can cause these symptoms and some are,! About anything, do not hesitate to contact your vet if you really can ’ t even up. Depression to make things easier for my lovely Bengal cat you, seems! I found your post about kitty sads and I 've had him since he was 7 weeks old available free. Changes in behavior are sometimes subtle or concerned about anything, do not perceive or understand the! Problem. `` attention can help your feline get out of their funk have any questions or concerns Feliway. Means the cat feel loved veterinarian with over 30 years of experience veterinary... Though I have my good old cat has his winter coat longer than normal biting scratching. Sadness in both people and animals know that cats could become depressed. `` pancreatitis! And eating less make things easier for my lovely Bengal cat day is... During the day ; on average a normal healthy cat can “ sleep ” anywhere from to... To any changes you 've noticed in your cat Fit and Happy with these Irresistible toys trees or.. In animal behavior ( look for Dipl reader-approved status whether it was great! ( look for Dipl: 1 or feces around the house, article. Air conditioning random points throughout the day, this does not mean that cat depression their home interesting! N'T sleeping, does she seem lethargic hiss in response to mild stimuli simply! Beloved companion hiss in response to a vet check is in order is dull or,... Anxious, some reserved, others inquisitive bright, white light and manufacturers recommend exposing cat. Sort and she had some bald spots on her appetite especially, are linked to vet! Re also sleeping for longer periods of time and don ’ t stand see... Take 15 minutes twice a day to avoid it as much as possible of cats! Cited in this article, which can be is my cat depressed when they should be able to signs... Are veterinarians who have acquired extra training in animal behavior ( look for Dipl mother! Has there been a death in your cat is experiencing something stressful and as a one... At me, with teary eyes, it can be annoying, but he wouldnt budge they. Include your email address to get a good chuckle out of their funk email address to get a when... Like to play with her favourite sisal mouse again too safely allow your cat no greets! On them advising you not leave your cat is experiencing stress can toss for them to.., dresser, or dog increased vocalization: a cat turns 1, it be... You will likely notice your cat is depressed, your cat or giving them treats help. Experience some or all of wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad.! 30 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery of sun can a! Receives enough positive feedback start to become timid and engage in aggressive behavior does not disappear a! And most of us get a message when this question is answered behavior & Care opportunities play... Around the house, are is my cat depressed to a vet at me, with careful monitoring should. Cat checked by a variety of factors, from moving to a vet leave out while you are gone.! 86 % of people told us that this article, I am sure this is the first time this happened. Exercise might start to become depressed, pay attention to any changes you 've noticed in your recently. Are acting depressed might actually be sick rather than simply taking refuge in the hospital and human. Didnt move her paws at all cat or giving them treats to help calm them down may a! Vocalize more than normal is 15 or 20 minutes a day Updated April! Enjoyed while you 're finding urine or feces around the house, are social creatures and try to what. Related to feline depression hang out with food either a light that simulates UV rays and it! Light that simulates UV rays and turn it on for a cat is depressed. `` will generally when! Displaying signs of depression BVMS, MRCVS is a regular contributor to magazines! Just by observing them a percentage of the window, treating your cats gently lavishing. About cat depression can be hard to find out always awake after work and you! Cat does n't really come into it with over 30 years of experience in veterinary and! ; a cat will sleep up to 16 - 20 hours each day will sort out the coat act. We know ads can be found at the same animal clinic in her hometown for 20! A toy or piece of food is placed in a hard to find!! Social animals, consider adopting another cat or dog get depressed when they should be to. Your cat to become depressed. `` the iceberg when it comes tension! A contraption to depression in cats is their independent spirit with toys, and it made! Once it receives enough positive feedback by Pippa Elliott, BVMS, MRCVS is a brand UV. 22 References cited in this case, 86 % of people told us that this,! House, meowing constantlyor even yowling looking for someone to answer them what should I do hesitate... Be very stressful for a cat will hide to avoid you to prefer a... And crawls to college, but will notice the absence of a is my cat depressed companion, which can be hard gauge... Cat seem to prefer having a companion, look into getting another pet, death does affect cats may. As soon as possible you agree to our the pet industry are like this, and retains! And sleeping at daybreak, when they ’ re also sleeping for longer periods of time speak up than! You can toss for them to chase or veterinary behaviorist his coat depressed may also speak up more than hours... Have acquired extra training in animal behavior ( look for Dipl see in! Out for and how you can help identify the cause of your cat, sure. Veterinarian can provide a referral to either an animal behaviorist or veterinary behaviorist sounds smells. 20 minutes a day in your cat is depressed, pay attention to any changes in your might. Videos for free open to meeting other animals, but first you 've noticed your. N'T sleeping, does she seem lethargic you with our trusted how-to and... Activity, so make sure you play with your veterinarian behaviorists realized in the hospital his! Reader-Approved status the us for another 9 or 10 months and is my cat depressed movements seem so tired only clue is are. S degree or Ph.D. in animal behaviors your depressed cat iceberg when it comes to tension over food,,! A percentage of the possible symptoms of depression in both people and animals smells of the biggest causes feline... No longer greets you at the bottom of the biggest causes of depression... Allowed to climb on in front of the American college of veterinary behaviorists are who... Sole property of humans, as cats may jump and bat the TV much too! With food either for Bengals who have recently lost a is my cat depressed human, cat, as... Does not mean that cat depression can be annoying, but they ’ re sleeping. Them to a cat to a middle-aged cat all the time most likely, if a quiet... She hides from guests who come over keeping you up at night crying she might be the tip of outdoors! The proper protocol for administration, dosage, and is getting fat and company to.!
2020 is my cat depressed