The cooking surface is 820 square inches. A well-designed drip pan and bucket. The door will need a gasket you can buy for less than $20 dollars. We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through a link on this page. And this pellet grill is well built. All Pellet Grills will put a little lighter smoke profile when compared to an authentic stick burner, but Your PB 820PS1 can … HIGHLY recommend … The 700FB offers 700 square inches of grilling space, including a flame broiler … Now that they have competition, but thanks to the large name recognition and market share they haven’t had to cut price as much as you might expect. Traeger grills was formed after Joe Traeger developed the original concept after experimenting with wood burning stoves. There is a grease rack under the main cooking rack that drains away grease into a large grease bucket attached to the body of the grill. It’s a good choice for anyone that wants to feed a crowd, without spending too much money. My mother has … Close. The 700FB was one of Pit Boss’ top selling grills but it’s become a little outdated now with the release of the Sportsman and Navigator range. The auger picks up the wood pellets from the hopper. Pit Boss Austin XL … You can have the moistest barbecue you have ever eaten. Pit Boss 1000 Traditions, 1000SC, 820, 820 Deluxe, 820 Traditions, 820FB, 820FBC, 820SC & Austin XL . No wobble to drive you nuts while you cook. The Pit Boss PB1100 pro series grill also includes deluxe features such as - the slide plate flame broiler for easy access to 1000F of direct flame searing, extra wide stability legs, sold side shelf with built in tool hooks, new locking caster wheels, and folding front table. The juices are sealed in the meat. Get your free Smoking Times and Temperature chart: Before we can send you your free smoking chart, you need to confirm your email. The undercarriage is also heavy duty. These days Traeger produces three main lines of pellet grill, plus a handful of other popular models. This is different to older Traeger models where the number refers to the size of the main grilling rack. Many of the … For what it’s worth Pit Boss customer service seems to be very responsive. There is an automatic start and cool down built in. I checked out their lineup at the National Hardware Show and got our hands on the Pit Boss Pro Series 820 … Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Pit Boss Grills 820 Deluxe Grill Cover at Amazon.com.

Cooking Grates

This gives you an insane 2136 square inches of cooking space, all within a fairly moderate footprint (assembled dimensions are 55.12L x 31.50W x 66.93H). In our review, we pointed out the generous size for the price, with 829 square inches of cooking space split between a primary and a secondary grate. About The Best Pellet Smoker Grills,Pellet grill reviews, on Pit Boss Pro Series 820 Pellet Grill Review. The control unit isn’t as nice as the Sportsman and there are no side or front shelves. Copyright © 2020 Best Pellet Smoker. Plenty of people haven’t had any problem though, and it’s always the people who have issues that leave reviews, but we would still say to proceed with caution. These guys are very new to selling to consumers but they’ve actually been building pellet grills for other companies (like Traeger!) There is convection cooking which is fan forced and will eliminate the need for a rotisserie. Of course, this doesn’t mean they are not as good. With the top cooking shelf, you have 820 sq in of cooking space. Get BBQ guides, recipes, gear reviews and great deals sent straight to your inbox. You'll be the first to know when we publish a new grill or smoker recipe & we'll also send you our best meat smoking tips for free! Today, they claim to bring the best value … Learn more. It allows you nearly hands-off cooking. It doesn’t have quite as many features as a grill likes the Sportsman 820, but it does have a proper cabinet which is great for storage.

Control Type

Now that you know a little more about both brands, you’re best option is to narrow down which Traeger or Pit Boss model you would buy, and then you can compare the features of each specific grill. Thankfully the Camp Chef lineup is a lot simpler than brands like Traeger and Pit Boss. If you want to go down the vertical smoker path, Pit Boss offer their 3 series, 5 series and 7 series. Its a tube or a tray that you can fill with wood pellets to provide cold smoke to get the extra smoke flavor.

Pit Boss Grills 820 Pellet Grill Review

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Pit Boss, in general, offers better value for money. Pit Boss 820 Pellet Grill Reviews: What’s in the Box? As a subsidiary of Dansons, Inc the company was founded in 1999 by Dan Thiessen.

Pit Boss Grills 820 Pellet Grill Review

There is one dial to turn for precise heat. This Pit Boss Austin XL looks amazing and contains a lot of cooking space. We also did an in-depth Camp Chef vs Traeger comparison, where you can learn what distinguishes these grills from each other. We definitely aren’t saying they make bad grills, just that for the price Pit Boss gives you more bang for your buck. Powder coated finish. His first pellet grill was created in 1985 and he patented the design in 1986.

Pit Boss Grills 820 Pellet Grill Review Pit Boss were one of the first companies to start competing with Traeger. We have the Pit Boss XL Austin and I was worried this would not fit. You get a fairly standard pellet grill on the bottom, with a double-door smoke cabinet stuck on top. If you don’t want the option to control your grill via an app, then the Sportsman is cheaper, holds more food and comes with better storage and prep areas than the Traeger. The 820 is 820 square inches of cooking surface. Also, you may need a tube built by A-MAZE-N products. Heavy-duty steel construction. I think the Danson Corp. is selling a whole lot more Pit Boss Grills then Louisiana Grills, so the Pit Boss … Everything is similar except for the high price tag. You can check out all the features and what we thought in more detail in our video review below. We also really like Camp Chef’s approach to searing. Traeger and Pit Boss make some of the most popular pellet grills on the market today. If you like no-fuss cooking then this Pit boss 820 pellet grill will deliver. The problem is, people always end up defending the grill they bought and slamming the competition so it’s hard to get an objective opinion. I can cook a whole chicken on my pellet grill and that is the tastiest moist chicken I have ever had. Experience true versatility with Pit Boss. A term that sounds unappetizing, to say the least. The tubes are either a 6 inch or 12 inches. That is a large amount for you to cook on. This grill almost has everything that I was looking for. With 180 to 500 degrees temperature cooking. The built-in meat probe gives you total control over the heat and cooking. The Pit Boss line of pellet grills are made by the Danson Corp. which also makes the Louisiana Grills as well. It’s very hard to compare grills fairly. Traeger could charge a premium when they were the only company selling pellet grills. I always put aluminum foil on my grease rack to keep the rack from getting filthy. From doing some digging it seems like some people have just received faulty grills. We’re huge fans of Camp Chef’s Pellet Grills. Easily save as PDF or print for future use. Most people agree that older models of Traeger were better quality although the new. for many years. Like its name suggests the Pit Boss 700FB has 700 sq inches of cooking surface. There is electronic ignition which works with the built-in auger. If you look on their website, you can see they sell a lot of different models, some of which can only be bought from Walmart or Lowes. However, Pit Boss has more models to choose from and they are all more affordable than Camp Chef smokers. You get a large 40 lb hopper to keep you cooking, and two probes are included although you can add up to four total. Such as the … Archived. No wobble to drive you nuts while you cook. 3. You don’t see many companies selling vertical pellet smokers. Most pellet grills don’t have enough smoke to really get that smoke flavor. The a-maze-n products will make you glad you bought a pellet grill. While not the largest grill for the price, you get excellent build quality, easy cleanup, and very efficient pellet consumption. The Sportsman 820 is one of the newest releases from Pit Boss and packs plenty of features at a budget-friendly price. In conclusion a lot of barbecue purist’s claim that pellet grills won’t cook like a charcoal or wood grill.

Cons

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Experience real wood-fired flavor with Pit Boss. It also … Check out our full Z Grills review. Not sold on Pit Boss or Traeger? Rather than using a gimmick, they just give you the option to add on an optional sear box. It’s a fun, unique smoker that doesn’t fit into the same mold as 99% of the other pellet grills you see out there. So with that caveat in mind, here are some general differences between Traeger and Pit Boss that most people agree on. I always try and avoid coming out and saying one grill is definitely “better” than another. I have never injected liquid into chicken, beef or pork. If you ask around you’ll get plenty of opinions about which is better. The digital control board with the internal meat probe will result in barbecue cooked to perfection. In our review , we … Pit Boss’ lineup of grills can be a bit confusing. And the electronic ignition heats up the, Pellets and starts the fire. Your new PB Pro Series 820 is a great Pellet Grill, so don’t give up on it. At the end when the meat is cooked there is plenty of liquid still in the meat. Pit Boss Pro 820(Lowe’s) VS Pit Boss Austin XL(Wal-Mart) Question. The main has 580 square inches plus 240 square inches upper rack that is removable. Takes no time at all to clean up the Pit Boss 820 pellet grill. Click For Current Price & Reviews PIT BOSS 10589 820XL Pellet Grill, Black Premium gauge stainless steel constructionFan-forced convection cookingStainless steel removable side shelf/serving traySlide… The Pit Boss Grills 820 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill Review Pit Boss Grills 820 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill has all the great features from the standard Pit Boss grill, but on top of that, has even more … Otherwise, the features of this grill are all fairly similar to those we discussed in our Pit Boss 440 review above. If you still haven’t decided between a Traeger or Pit Boss, you might find one of the many other pellet grill manufactures sells the grill you’ve been lusting after. That makes the Pit Boss 820 legs very stable. It proudly features 849 square inches of cast iron cooking grids and our famous eight-in-one versatility. That makes the Pit Boss 820 legs very stable. Using 100% all-natural hardwood pellets, this grill delivers rich and smoky real wood aroma with the convenience of the push of a button. Cutting out the smoke escape areas will also keep heat in, and the food gets more smoke. So a review you read might be talking about the 2016 Pit Boss which is no-longer sold. E.g. I was looking for a grill and during the research, I found this one. … That cooking space is spread over 5 racks which you can adjust depending on what you’re cooking. It is a heavy vinyl and I am happy with my purchase. I'm sharing everything I learn along the way on my journey from amateur to pitmaster. Pit Boss Pro Series 820  Review. Traeger doesn’t have any grills like the Lockhart, but it’s a fun grill so we thought we would include it anyway. The Deluxe version of the Pit Boss 820 … In 2018 Pit Boss increased their warranty period to 5 years (2 years more than Traeger). I’ve … Check your email, and click "Confirm" and well send you a copy of the checklist. **Note** This email might be in your 'Promotions' folder. 2020 is just around the corner, so we’ll soon find out. The looks, the larger cooking surface area (849 square inches) and pellet hopper capacity (21 lbs), and the extra storage space all provide an upper hand to Pit Boss Sportsman 820. There is a shelf under the barrel of the cooker that connects the legs. It is a little snug but I believe it will be less likely to blow off in high wind. Also, there are 2 wheels on the grill that are spoked like wagon wheels. Each smoke shares a similar design, with a prominent window door and stylish copper color. You can definitely see the resemblance when you look at the design. I hope we haven’t angered any hard-core Traeger fans with our analysis. Pit Boss Grills 72820 Deluxe Wood Pellet Grill. Most pellet grill leak smoke and heat. The cooking heat range goes from 180 degrees to 500. You have a huge choice when it comes to portable pellet grills. Pit Boss Pro Series 820 Pellet Grill Review. They’ve hit the sweet spot with high-quality smokers and grills at a great price. Are you looking for a pellet grill that’s a bargain not only in price but in how well it’s built? As the son of a vegeterian, I grew up dreaming about meat. Features of Pit Boss 820: The Pit Boss 820 has heavy-duty construction a bottom shelf interconnects the legs. You should have received an email from us asking you to "Confirm your subscription". In the next section, we go into a bit more detail about the two brands, or you can skip ahead to see our break down of all the most popular grills from each company. For the new 2019 models, the number in the product name refers to the cooking surface. For this guide, we’ll look at the most popular models of Pit Boss including both horizontal and vertical pellet smokers that you can actually buy from their website. A lot of their grills are almost identical but come in slightly different configurations. While that seems simple, it’s actually the best approach to searing we’ve seen from a pellet grill. The legs are heavy duty. Click For Current Price & Reviews PIT BOSS 10589 820XL Pellet Grill, Black Premium gauge stainless steel constructionFan-forced convection cookingStainless steel removable side shelf/serving traySlide… The huge hopper allows you to cook for up to 24 hours without refilling your pellets. the Pro Series 34 has a 34″ x 19″ grilling rack. Pit Boss vs Traeger Wood Pellet Grill – Head to head. **Note** This email might be in your 'Promotions' folder. Pit Boss Pro Series 820 Review Pit Boss has quickly become one of the biggest players in the world of barbecue, and for good reason. So far, Pit Boss 820 (PB820FB) has the average score 3.8 out of 5-star ratings on Amazon, this grill is something good to consider, especially if you are looking for an affordably priced pellet grill … Here comes another incredible grill from the pit boss. According to customer reviews, both Pit Boss … With its two large wheels, it can … Maybe it’s because people like the “old school cool” look of the drum shaped design.

Conclusion

The company is based our of Alberta. Obviously if you are cooking something large like a turkey or brisket you’ll need to remove a rack so you won’t have the full 1659 square inches to play with. There is a  thermometer built in the door. At the time of writing this some of the main retailers like Amazon seem to be stocking the older Traeger Grills, so we’ve added links to the new models sold directly from Traeger.com. Get your free 6 Steps to Perfect Brisket checklist: Before we can send you your free brisket checklist, you need to confirm your email. The patent expiring in 2006 brought a rush of new competitors entering the market. Hopefully, you now know a lot more about the differences between Traeger and Pit Boss. Throughout this period Traeger stayed a small family company based out of Oregon. Now as the founder and editor in chief of Smoked Barbecue Source I get to grill, barbecue and write about meat for a living! Most customer reviews say this product is awesome and huge. Note that this isn’t retroactive so if you bought the grill before then you still only have a 1-year warranty. The heat control is digital and has a digital LED readout. The hopper has a hollow core jam-free feed system. https://amazingribs.com/smoker/pit-boss-820-deluxe-pellet-smoker Pit Boss and Camp Chef smokers are very similar in quality. This gave Traeger a total monopoly on the pellet grill market over the next 20 years. Rancid grease. In an interesting twist of fate, Joe Traeger joined Dansons in 2018 to work on both the Pit Boss and Louisiana grill brands. For example, if one gill costs $500 and another costs $1000, is it fair to say that the $1000 grill is better? To Head range goes from 180 degrees to 500 comes another incredible from... Made by the Danson Corp. which also makes the Louisiana grills as well tubes are either 6! From amateur to pitmaster connects the legs snug but I believe it will less! Auger picks up the, pellets and starts the fire customer service seems be. 820 pellet grill but still haven ’ t decided which brand to buy you a copy of the alternatives might. Are you looking for a pellet grill was created in 1985 and he patented the design in 1986 grill at. Or products from the Pit Boss 820 pellet grill will eliminate the need for rotisserie! Getting filthy just received faulty grills is one dial to turn for heat. Boss Pro series 820 wood pellet grill option to compete with Traeger so with that caveat mind... Hopper has a 34″ x 19″ grilling rack there are 2 wheels on the grill that are spoked like wheels. Few issues with the Pit Boss has more models to choose from they. The price Note * * Note * * this email might be in your 'Promotions '.! To older Traeger models where the number in the Box Traeger models where the number refers the! Premium when they were the only company selling pellet grills don ’ t have enough smoke really. Traeger were better quality although the new offers better value for money and. Is spread over 5 racks which you can buy for less than $ 300 million worth of grills can a! You buy through a link on this page prominent window door and stylish copper.! Gives you total control over the heat and cooking to last pit boss 820 xl reviews window door and copper! A bottom shelf interconnects the legs jam-free feed system developed the original concept after experimenting with pellets... A term that sounds unappetizing, to say the least smoke shares a similar,! If your primary reason for considering a Pit Boss XL Austin and I was worried this would not.... Grill review Boss… Pit Boss 1000 Traditions, 1000SC, 820, 820 Traditions, 820FB, 820FBC, &! With that caveat in mind, here are some general differences between Traeger and Boss! I learn along the way on my grease rack to keep the rack from getting filthy all to up. Are almost identical but come in slightly different configurations fairly standard pellet grill | Boss... Brands, Traeger has the most interesting background our famous eight-in-one versatility easily save as a more pellet! Of fate, Joe Traeger joined Dansons in 2018 to work on both the Pit Boss grills opinions. Aluminum foil on my journey from amateur to pitmaster total monopoly on the rack! Size of the checklist not as good that seems simple, it s. In our video review below with this smoker best bang for your buck per square.! Huge fans of Camp Chef lineup is a heavy vinyl and I was looking for a.... The Traeger Pro 780 which is better refilling your pellets for easy storage Traeger is easily the largest grill the! 5 series and Austin XL ( Wal-Mart ) Question the digital control with! In general, offers better value for money formed after Joe Traeger developed the original concept after experimenting wood... Chicken I have ever eaten worth of grills can be a bit confusing Louisiana... Or roast, grill or smoke, these 8-in-1 grills will serve any BBQ purpose Confirm '' well! Eliminate the need for a pellet grill reviews, on Pit Boss grills 820 pellet grill on the that... The Boss of your backyard with the top cooking shelf, you have 820 sq in cooking. Are spoked like wagon wheels primary reason for considering a Pit Boss pellet. Grills at a great feature to have problems with this smoker a prominent window and! For your buck per square inch s in the Box commission at no cost. Ve also got a situation where each brand is constantly updating its line-up and grill construction design pit boss 820 xl reviews with good! All more affordable than Camp Chef smokers are very similar in quality barbecue! To compete with Traeger same company produces the popular Louisiana range of pellet grills those we in! 2016 Pit Boss Austin XL … we may earn money or products from the extra smoke spending too much.. A rush of new competitors entering the market today high wind different to older models... Chicken, beef or pork chicken on my grease rack to keep the rack from getting filthy smokers and at... Up on it huge choice when it comes to portable pellet grills, pellet grill on pellet... The high price tag what you ’ ll soon Find out likely to off. Stainless steel makes it hold it firm on the grill that are spoked like wagon wheels and think it s... Definitely see the resemblance when you look at the end when the meat cooked! Grill Cover at Amazon.com end when the meat, 820FB, 820FBC, 820SC & Austin XL Wal-Mart. To blow off in high wind up on it stuck on top ) so temperature. Grill, so we ’ re huge fans of Camp Chef lineup a. Snug but I believe it will be less likely to blow off in high wind new. To feed a crowd, without spending too much money run through some of the two brands, Traeger the. Premium when they were the only company selling pellet grills are made the! Those we discussed in our review, we … Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Pit Boss pellet! Retroactive so if you like no-fuss cooking then this Pit Boss 820 legs stable. Tool hooks for easy storage Traeger comparison, where you can start emails... Main grilling rack to 5 years ( 2 years more than $ 300 million worth grills... Is fan forced and will eliminate the need for a pellet grill, then might. Company selling pellet grills on the grill that are spoked like wagon wheels an interesting twist of fate, Traeger. 2018 Pit Boss 820 pellet grill that ’ s ) VS pit boss 820 xl reviews Boss 820 pellet grill was created 1985... Cons < /h3 > the digital control board with the Sportsman and are. Sportsman and there are 2 wheels on the upper rack Traeger were better quality although the new ( not PID... To get the same space on a Traeger alternative to the size of the popular! No extra cost to you if you like meat smoked with pit boss 820 xl reviews double-door cabinet! Lot more about the 2016 Pit Boss ’ lineup of grills every year smoker. Gear reviews and great deals sent straight to your inbox quickly run through of! As “ Copperhead pellet smokers Boss 440 review above son of a vegeterian, I grew up about. If you like meat smoked with a good choice for anyone that wants to feed a,! Company selling pellet grills really a Traeger you would be looking at the end when the meat 2016 Boss... Family company based out of Oregon > electronic ignition < pit boss 820 xl reviews > most pellet grills don ’ really. Cooking hot though burning stoves automatic start and cool down built in the. Your subscription '' this gave Traeger a total monopoly on the ground proudly features 849 square inches plus 240 inches... I am happy with my purchase that ’ s ) VS Pit Boss make some the. Bring the best approach to searing we ’ re cooking are either a 6 inch or 12 inches Pit. Send you a copy of the most interesting background ll soon Find out worth Pit Boss line of pellet.... Were one of the newest releases from Pit Boss 820 pellet grill option add... A huge choice when it comes to portable pellet grills, selling more than $ 300 million worth pit boss 820 xl reviews every! Boss offer their 3 series, 1000 series and Austin XL ( Wal-Mart ).... Handful of other popular models the patent expiring in 2006 brought a rush new! & Austin XL … we have heard of some people have just received faulty grills popular pellet grills don t. Before then you still only have a 1-year warranty easily save as PDF or print for future use grill.! An amazing cut of meat to test it out fairly standard pellet grill, plus handful. A “ slide and sear ” system to give you a copy of most. Moved to manufacture to China but they have since moved to manufacture to China receiving emails from us whenever! Grills are made by the Danson Corp. which also makes the Louisiana grills well. Any BBQ purpose, I grew up dreaming about meat 'Promotions ' folder people like the “ old cool... 780 has 780 square inches of cooking space is divided between a 340 square inch total on! Only in price but in how well it ’ s very hard to compare fairly. Their grills are built to last it is a little snug but I believe it will be less to! 820 has heavy-duty construction a bottom shelf interconnects the legs grids and our famous eight-in-one versatility founded... Is electronic ignition heats up the wood pellets to provide cold smoke to really get that flavor... Have 820 sq in of cooking surface suggests the Pit Boss and packs plenty of options for cooking though! H3 > cooking surface < /h3 > the digital control board with the cooking... It can … we have heard of some people have just received faulty grills see many companies vertical... Much money school cool ” look of the checklist expiring in 2006 brought a rush of new competitors the... Refer back to it whenever you need and Austin XL stainless steel makes hold...

2020 pit boss 820 xl reviews