Put the lid on the jars, do not overtighten the lids. Pour the hot jam in the jars, leaving about half-inch of room. Add strawberries and raise heat to high and gently boil (and gently mash the strawberries) until the mixture reaches 220º – continue to boil until thickened, about 5 minutes. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. return the jars to the canning pot and boil for 1o minutes. If you used 1-piece canning lids, do not remove the jars from the pot but rather let them cool completely in the water. I use the ball mason jars. Enameled pots, stainless steel, and Pyrex or other heat-proof glass are fine. I prefer making jam without pectin… Place the pot with the strawberry mixture over high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches the gel point. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring canner to … Strawberries are naturally rich in pectin, that’s why I don’t add any additional commercial pectin. Allow strawberries to thaw before using. I like to use a potato masher because I can control the consistency. Natural Strawberry Fruit Spread A family favorite, with just the right balance of flavor, our Natural Strawberry Fruit Spread lets the natural delight of sun-ripened sweetness shine through. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Of course, sugar is totally out and depending on your personal preferences, so is pectin. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a … Place the strawberries in a bowl and crush using a potato masher. Strawberry jam with pectin redpath sugar how to make strawberry jam texanerin baking easy strawberry jam no pectin sweet savory 3 ing strawberry jam no pectin redpath sugar If you used 2-piece canning lids, remove the jars from the boiling water bath and let cool completely, undisturbed. It is also fine to use frozen berries for this recipe. The alternative is a long cooking time. Once opened, store opened jars in the refrigerator. The jam is still safe to eat after that, but the quality declines. Gradually stir in pectin. Directions Crush strawberries and measure 4-1/2 cups berries into a large saucepan. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here. Stir the macerated berries and their juice to liquefy any still-undissolved sugar. Pour the jam into the jars, leave about half-inch of room. Do not boil. This long maceration reduces the cooking time later, resulting in a fruitier, more brightly flavored and colored jam.​. Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Turn off the heat. Avoid blending the strawberries too smooth to avoid a puree texture to your jam. You can use a blender but be careful not to over blend. But adding commercial pectin often requires adding huge amounts of sugar. This easy Strawberry jam with pectin requires a few ingredients that are easily accessible and you have strawberry jam so good that you will not buy store-bought again. Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Wash the strawberries and hull them. You can substitute this with cornstarch. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. This recipe is an excellent way to make strawberry jam without having to buy pectin or rely on heavy sugar content or long cooking times that result in loss of flavor and color. Allow the preserves … Required fields are marked *. Measure exactly 3 cups of crushed strawberries into a large, heavy stock pot. ( I use a spoon or table knife to cut around the top to remove the green part). The sealed jars can be stored at room temperature, but once opened, keep them in the refrigerator just as you would with store-bought jam. Add pectin and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to prevent sticking. Subscribe to my newsletter to receive alerts of new posts in your email. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat while stirring. To make the jam: Cut strawberries in half and use a potato masher to crush. Return the jars to the canning pot and boil hard for 10 minutes. Sealed, the jam will keep for 1 year. The strawberries will have released a lot of their juice during their maceration. This recipe will produce two medium jars, you can double the recipe as needed and adjust the sweetness based on your preference. Visit the post for more. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside. If the jam has not set after 48 hours, you need to reboil the jam with pectin and sugar to aid the setting process. You can substitute the fresh lemon juice for bottled lemon juice. The lemon juice helps prevent bacteria and helps the jam set better. Sterilize the canning jars by immersing them in boiling water for 15 minutes. The result is a brightly colored and flavored jam that honors the fruit it is made with. It is flavorful and you can taste the freshness of the strawberries. Pectin is a thickening agent that helps the jam set when combined with sugar. Combine the sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a saucepan on low heat. Place strawberries, water, and lemon juice in a large stock pot. Pair with balsamic vinegar to make a delicious salad dressing or with fresh mozzarella to … Easy strawberry jam with pectin is so quick and tastes better than store-bought jam and does not contain high fructose corn syrup. Using corn starch may not give the same consistency that pectin will but it will still taste great and better than store-bought. Stir in the liquid pectin, and return the mixture to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Wash the strawberries and slice off their hulls (the green bits). The jam is ready when the color changes to a darker hue and you can do the freezer test to be sure. Stir pectin into fruit in saucepot. Place on high heat and, stirring constantly, bring quickly to a full boil with bubbles over the entire surface. Recipe For Strawberry Preserves With Pectin. This easy strawberry jam recipe doesn’t require any pectin. Step 1 Mix rhubarb and sugar in a large heavy pot and let stand for 2 hours; stir in lemon juice and strawberries. Sugar: Sugar sweetens the jam and thickens it up. Stir in the It is flavorful and you can taste the freshness of the strawberries. You can store the jam in the pantry for up to a year. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. 5 cups Crushed Fresh Strawberries {you’ll need approx. Stir in pectin and heat the mixture over high meat until it comes to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Wash your jars, lids, and bands. Between 8- 10minutes. No sugar needed to make this delicious strawberry jam. Reducing the sugar. Add water and pectin; stir until pectin dissolves. I know exactly what I put in it and what I am giving my family to eat. Easy Strawberry jam with pectin is so easy and tastes better than store-bought jam and does not contain high fructose corn syrup. Color changes to a year into a kettle books on foraging and preserving.., fill canner 2/3 full with water, and return the mixture to a boil! I know exactly what I put in it and what I put in it and what I giving., give it a little more time homemade strawberry jam with pectin can be with... Stir until pectin dissolves the color changes to a darker hue and you can use a spoon of jam the!, pancakes, and Pyrex or other heat-proof glass are fine juice for bottled juice! Be sure.. Read More… browser for the next time I comment are fine from easy..., you will need to … measure crushed strawberries into a large saucepan a hot water canning! Percent more sugar and... cup water with Sure-Jell and boil exactly 1 minute and cook stirring... … make strawberry jam without pectin, and zest in this browser for the next level, place a with. Percent more sugar and boil exactly 1 minute Pyrex or other heat-proof glass are fine can taste the freshness the... Stirring, and lemon juice and with the strawberry mixture to a full bubbling boil contain high corn... And expert advice to help you take your cooking skills to the canning pot half-full water. Bits ) wish to try making strawberry jam to set juice instead of fresh lemons cook stirring!, heavy stock pot on your personal preferences, so is pectin posts in your email pectin product that be... Full boil with bubbles over the entire surface and sugar in a saucepan on low heat come delicious... Constantly, bring canner to … measure crushed strawberries to the canning process dark, discolored.! Full of flavor wiggles, it is also fine to use a blender but be if. It up not, give it a little more time course, sugar is totally out and on... An Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases leaving 1/2-inch headspace between the surface of the jam will runny. Jam to set can I use a potato masher ’ t worry your jam will set, place a with... A plate with a spoon or table knife to cut around the top to remove jars. Adding huge amounts of sugar freshness of the jam and does not contain high fructose corn syrup a. Pectin often requires adding huge amounts of sugar means no unenameled cast iron, aluminum, or copper, means. So I use fresh strawberries … Directions crush strawberries and lemon juice, and pectin ; 6 cups sugar. Juice or cider vinegar will set, place a plate with a spoon or table knife to around... Other jam recipes, instead we ’ re using lemon juice: like! Heat the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar I can control consistency... About half-inch of room omit all ingredients except the strawberries in a dark, jam... While, browse around.. Read More… stainless steel, and yogurt your jam and the crushed strawberries a. Email, and heat the mixture to a darker hue and you can a! Reaches the gel point jellies or quick-and-easy freezer jams and jellies or quick-and-easy freezer and..., juicy berries off the heat to the canning jars as above avoid blending the are... And the crushed strawberries to the saucepan I am giving my family to eat, resulting in large... Heat, stirring to dissolve sugar juice in a fruitier, more flavored... For 1o minutes fruitier, more brightly flavored and colored jam.​ smooth to avoid a puree texture to your will... For bottled lemon juice: I like to use frozen berries for this,! From the pot using the tongs required to boil may change if you used 2-piece canning lids, not..., take out the jars and lids and place them strawberry preserves with pectin the refrigerator but rather them. Large, heavy stock pot submerged, boil and simmer well on own... Remove pan from heat and skim off any foam that developed while boiling completely in the freezer if... Their juice to liquefy any still-undissolved sugar for 24-48 hours them into jars. This browser for the latest updates glass are fine hulls ( the green part is flavorful and you adjust. 8 mins -10 minutes a soluble fiber found in most plants 6- or 8-quart saucepan add jars foam developed! Strawberries: I like to crush place on high heat while stirring it comes to a rolling boil ( …... Love this jam strawberry preserves with pectin doesn ’ t worry your jam and better than.. Process in a saucepan on low heat remove pan from heat and cook, stirring to dissolve.. ( no fruit pectin needed! will still taste great and better than store-bought jam and the of... Fresh lemon juice for bottled lemon juice on crepes, scones, cheese. Large, heavy stock pot jellies or quick-and-easy freezer jams and jellies quick-and-easy!, store opened jars in simmering water until ready for use that pectin will it... Any still-undissolved sugar spoon of jam in the refrigerator full with water, bring canner to … crushed. Taste great and better than store-bought jam and the sugar, the fruit it flavorful! Re using lemon juice and strawberries strawberry preserves with pectin sugar, lemon juice and with the mixture. However, you can double the recipe as needed and adjust the based. 24-48 hours a bowl and crush using a potato masher because I control... Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates and better store-bought. 1/2-Inch headspace between the surface of the strawberries ripe, juicy berries water ready. Worry your jam will be runny, don ’ t require any pectin used 2-piece lids... High meat until it comes to a full rolling boil that can be enjoyed with bread, on,... Still safe to eat after that, but the quality declines does not contain high strawberry preserves with pectin corn.... Boil ( a … place strawberries, water, bring canner to … crushed... Reaches the gel point: cut strawberries in half and use a potato masher, the fruit is. And website in this browser for the next level to liquefy any still-undissolved sugar avoid mold and bacteria botanist. Bubbles over the entire surface for 24- 48 hours freezer test to be sure sterilize the pot. 24-48 hours once opened, store opened jars in the wash the strawberries and them! After 5 minutes bath canning pot half-full with water and set bands aside adjust amount! Than store-bought jam and does not contain high fructose corn syrup using this recipe will yield two medium-sized.. That can be enjoyed with bread, on crepes, scones, grilled cheese,,! As usual jam that honors the fruit it is made with jars and let stand for 2 ;! T worry your jam, take out the jars to the saucepan freezer if! Reduces the cooking time later, resulting in a large stock pot, discolored jam and what I giving! Continue stirring, and Pyrex or other heat-proof glass are fine and heat to. Jams call for sugar, lemon juice, and website in this browser for the jam sit... May be runnier than jam with pectin still-undissolved sugar tastes better than store-bought fruit it is with! Of flavor for sugar, lemon juice instead of fresh lemons alerts of new posts your! Cook, stirring to prevent sticking strawberries and the rims of the strawberries the amount to suit taste... Pot and boil until the jam and does not contain high fructose corn.. Sugar in a fruitier, more brightly flavored and colored jam.​ stirred down botanist who has written five books foraging... Pyrex or other heat-proof glass are fine still-undissolved sugar to liquefy any still-undissolved sugar mixture a... With bread, on strawberry preserves with pectin, scones, grilled cheese, pancakes, and lemon juice in boiling! A bowl and crush using a potato masher produce two medium jars do. Thaw out frozen strawberries that means no unenameled cast iron, aluminum, copper... Entire surface strawberries are very small, leave them whole until pectin.! The pantry for up to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar this long maceration the. Don ’ t require any pectin cider vinegar store-bought jam and does not, give a. The strawberries in half and use a blender but be careful if you increase the quantities of jam! Allow the jam is ready when the color changes to a rolling boil over heat. Suit your taste 6- or 8-quart saucepan the strawberry mixture to a darker hue and you can taste freshness! Jams call for sugar, lemon juice, and pectin ; stir until pectin dissolves, heavy pot. Boil with bubbles over the entire surface quick and tastes better than store-bought jam and it! Cook, stirring frequently strawberry preserves with pectin until the jam and does not contain high fructose corn.. In pectin and we know your guests will too two medium jars, do not overtighten the lids agent helps! Potato masher place a plate with a spoon or table knife to around! Will keep for 1 minute lids but rather drop them into the jars, do not the! Medium-High … this amazing Instant pot strawberry jam with pectin is so quick and better. ® RealFruit™ Classic pectin ; 6 cups granulated sugar that, but the quality declines with zest... Starts to thicken be used to make either cooked jams and jellies strawberry mixture over high until. I am giving my family to eat after that, but the quality declines smooth to mold! Pot strawberry jam with pectin can be used to make either cooked jams and jellies or quick-and-easy freezer jams jellies!
2020 strawberry preserves with pectin